Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the power steering pump in my 97 Tacoma 2.7l about 2 weeks ago because the old one was starting to grown excessively when it was warmed up.

I replaced it with a reman from pepboys and it sounded ok till a few days ago.

It is again growning once it is warmed up and the wheel is turned at a stand still or low speed. I took the reservoir cap off the other day when it was hot and with the engine running to find lots of bubbles in the reservoir.

Does this sound like the reman pump I got is dieing or something else? I don't get any bubble or growning when the pump is cold so what could that be?

I made sure to bleed the system when I replaced the pump the last time so I know I got all the air out of it. Also the rack was replaced recently (within the last year)...

Any thoughts?

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts
Did you completely flush the system and cooler BEFORE and AFTER you installed the new pump?

If not that is likely your problem. The contamination and metal bits left in the system took out the new pump. Very common mistake.

Flush the system BEFORE you remove the old pump. Flush the cooler and lines when the pump is off. Install the new pump and FLUSH IT AGAIN.

G

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
I've done just as you described Gadget on ps pump swaps..
Turns out the remans from autozone were garbage..
Just like their altanator and starter remans, doa right out of the box.
Got my stock pump back, went to napa...
Lasted 60k+ then sold the truck..

If your ever getting an alt or starter, have them test it before you leave with it.. In one round, they tested and failed 5 alts for my buddies 83 nissan pulsar before finding one that worked..
That working alt lasted 8 days till it crapped out..
Autozone and remans are junk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you completely flush the system and cooler BEFORE and AFTER you installed the new pump?

If not that is likely your problem. The contamination and metal bits left in the system took out the new pump. Very common mistake.

Flush the system BEFORE you remove the old pump. Flush the cooler and lines when the pump is off. Install the new pump and FLUSH IT AGAIN.

G
How does that explain why it only growns when it is warmed up though?

How do you flush the system with the pump removed? Do I submerge the feed line in fluid as I turn the wheel?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
sometimes its hard to bleed out the air completely. on a friends car he was having the same problem and we read the manual. said to disconnect spark and fuel,jack the front end off the ground and crank the engine while slowly turning lock to lock and adding fluid as needed. i was skeptical but it worked.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
did the new pump come with a reservoir, or did you swap your old one to the new pump? the screen in the bottom of the reservoir may be clogged.

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts
First thing is to stop buying crap from AutoZone.

If you shop around you can get a real Toyota, new or reman for a good price.

I tried the AutoZone life time warranty thing with CV axles for my off road truck. I was snapping those things in the parking lot. Went back to Toyota axles and never broke another one.

Sometimes it is cheaper to pay more.

G

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
did the new pump come with a reservoir, or did you swap your old one to the new pump? the screen in the bottom of the reservoir may be clogged.

^^^^^ This.

There is a very fine steel mesh filter in the bottom of the reservoir, I had the exact thing happen to me just a few days ago. I swapped everything, worked great. he came in the morning to pick up his truck and it sounded horrible just like before, it turns out the screen had a bunch of debris in th clogging the feed causing the pump to overwork...

I removed the reservoir and sprayed it with brake cleaner from the bottom as well as compressed air, followed with letting it soak with degreaser overight and spraying it out in the morning, once I could see through it again I reinstalled it and worked like a charm!

This may not be your problem, but a commonly overlooked issue..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced the power steering pump in my 97 Tacoma 2.7l about 2 weeks ago because the old one was starting to grown excessively when it was warmed up.

I replaced it with a reman from pepboys and it sounded ok till a few days ago.

It is again growning once it is warmed up and the wheel is turned at a stand still or low speed. I took the reservoir cap off the other day when it was hot and with the engine running to find lots of bubbles in the reservoir.

Does this sound like the reman pump I got is dieing or something else? I don't get any bubble or growning when the pump is cold so what could that be?

I made sure to bleed the system when I replaced the pump the last time so I know I got all the air out of it. Also the rack was replaced recently (within the last year)...

Any thoughts?
Replace the belt, idler and tensioner assembly. Use a Gatorback belt and a high quality tensioner and idler pulley not a universal "Will fit the A/C tensioner also!" POS pulley.This will resolve your groaning issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts