Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone....Just working on another truck I bought....I am going to swap out my 97 front end on my Tacoma 4x4. Ive already got the radiator support for my truck so I can use 98-00 headlights.
But now I am starting to notice that under my 97 front bumper I dont have much room under there for my front mount intercooler as I am planning to keep my ac condenser....So I noticed that the 98 bumper had a little more room. Ive been doing some research and cant seem to come up with anything definite on what the differences in mounting are......

So my question to anyone who knows is.....what is needed for a bolt on install? Is there in fact more room under the 98 bumper or the 01+ bumper? As I am not opposed to the 01+ bumper.......Being that not alot of good used Tacoma bumpers are around at the scrap yard I may be ordering things online. It looks like there is a plastic cover over a metal support for the 98 but I cant tell from the pictures Ive found online.....any info or pictures would be awesome

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you want a 100% bolt on solution you'll need the bumper pieces as well as the bumper brackets. And you are correct about the 98+ having the brace up front. I believe it was just an additional safety piece added from the factory and has nothing to do with the bumper itself.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Right ... The 1998 - 2000 models had a pair of frame end extensions that the 1995.5 - 1997 and 2001 - 2004 models didn't have.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right ... The 1998 - 2000 models had a pair of frame end extensions that the 1995.5 - 1997 and 2001 - 2004 models didn't have.
Hmm so thats sounds to me like there may be more room behind the 98-00 bumper for an intercooler if it has frame end extensions......What ever has the most room is what ill be looking for:waytogo:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have anything to add on installing an intercooler behind a 98-00 front bumper.....from experience on what kind of room there is?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts