Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
If you do a search to replace your A/C Control Panel light for a 95-04 Tacoma, you will find some threads of 98 and beyond but nothing specific for 95-97 as they are different yet people say they are the same, so I went ahead to make one since mine burned out and needed replacement.

Start off by pulling your lever tabs off your controls, and use your screwdriver to wiggle the A/C button loose, then with your finger nails pull it out.

Use your screwdriver to pry lightly on one side of the A/C Panel face until it comes loose then do the same to the other then finally the bottom and pull up, seemed to work fine for me and no tabs broke.

On the right side of the clear reflector is a tab holding it in, use the screwdriver under it prying lightly to the left while pushing the holding tab to the right.

The bulb has a green condom on it and is there to add color as well as make it easier to pull out, while holding the bulb, wiggle left to right and it should pop out. I am using the same stock bulb #74 Wedge based bulb made from Sylvania, $5 for 2 of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited by Moderator)
You can put the green condom back on or not, I choose not to for a brighter clear color, also note the ones i bought were very slightly larger at the base and harder to get in but is perfectly doable.

After that put the clear reflector on and make sure the bulb sits in the middle and does not break when putting it back on, also clipped back in place.

Following that, put your A/C Panel face back on with your lever tabs and finally the A/C button, check your work with lights on during all parts to make sure nothing went wrong and you are good to go

I will upload a night picture later to show the green condom taken off the bulb for added brightness.

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
Nice writeup! Thanks for taking the time to document the work. :waytogo:

I'm liking the de-condomized color and brightness you're now getting ... :thinking:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced my bulb using these instructions and they were very accurate. The Sylvania bulb used above fit, but when I initially pushed the bulb in, it did not work. I tried another bulb and got a flash every now and then. I finally got a good connection by prying the two little wires on the outside of the bulb out slightly - apparently that helped to make a better connection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts