Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Huston Problem Update:
unloaded wife's equipment from the truck.
Springs are back to "normal" (photos attached)

Truck height adjusted such that the rear is now 1.6" HIGHER so a change in rear height from loaded to unloaded = +2.6"

I guess that means that the OE 6-lug springs are weak in the pants too..

maybe the equipment was more than a couple hundred lbs total.
I just did a quick estimation of the weight of all the items in the back of the truck and added them and came out at 430lbs, so if I'm 25% wrong the load is 322-537 lbs if I'm 50% wrong that's 215-645 lbs

According to the manual, with 1-2 occupants (it's a regular cab so there won't be more than 1-2 occupants) the cargo weight rating of both the 2WD 5-lug and the 4WD 6-lug is 1100 lbs. And it appears as though we very probably aren't exceeding more than 58% of that (645/1100 = 58%)

What the heck?

do I just need stronger springs?
if the springs are that weak with that much load, should I worry about the tires being OK?
Roger that...This is Houston...Find the time to flip those overloads and report back. Over. :waytogo:

Something else I just realized too...you are using the 6 lug overloads. You can either flip them over to raise the truck and help with loads (and help keep the leafs from sagging even more since this is a common issue with them) Or you can use your stock 5 lug overloads which are also nice and curved and use them flipped in the "happy" (smiling) position. Either ones will help your situation. Maybe compare the curves of the 5 lug ones to the 6 lug ones when you have things apart. Then use the ones you decide on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
SOME 6 LUG LEAFS
Here's what's going on with your 6 lug leafs... A lot of 6 lug leafs are known to wear out quickly and start arching the wrong way. I think they even had a recall on them. It's great if you're lowering your truck, guys love it, but if you aren't and you're hoping for a higher sitting truck that handles weight better it's not good.
LEAF LENGTH
Regarding your leafs and your shackle being pushed back....it's hard to tell from your picture if it's back more than normal. Here's what I need to know...are the leafs you're using the correct length? Your 97 has leafs that are about 51" eye to eye stock. 98 -04 trucks use rear leafs that are about 3-4" longer, 54" eye to eye. Did you measure the eye to eye length on the new leafs you are using?
The 6-lug leaves I installed are Dorman 929-400s which are the replacement part for the 97 6-lug tacos. Just called Dorman and they said the eye-to-eye length is 49.6"

The OE 5-lug leaves are pretty much exactly the same length (I measured 49.5")

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
The 6-lug leaves I installed are Dorman 929-400s which are the replacement part for the 97 6-lug tacos. Just called Dorman and they said the eye-to-eye length is 49.6"

The OE 5-lug leaves are pretty much exactly the same length (I measured 49.5")
ok cool. My 51" measurement is just a rough measurement from leafs that are lying around so maybe they have flattened some since they are used. Or maybe the actual measurement isn't center to center of the bushings, but wrap to wrap or something. Either way seems you have the correct length springs. Refresh my brain...those 6 lug leafs you are using are brand new yes? I forgot that part. If they are de arching that much under that small amount of weight, they really are soft and meant more for giving an empty truck a nice ride, and when the loads get real heavy the truck will just rest on the bump stops and still ride fairly soft, which is probably why the stock bump stops are so large with so much rubber. Toyota trucks aren't built like the 1970 Hilux anymore with a 8 leaf pack. lol

I'd like to see more pictures of your truck. Like the stance of it with a side shot of the whole truck.

If you want to haul heavy stuff consider a set of Monroe MA727 air shocks. Then add this controller system and you'll have a sweet setup.

https://www.amazon.com/LIFT-25804-A...767863&sr=8-1&keywords=Air+Lift+air+shock+kit

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
hey guys, sorry I fell off the edge of the world there. I tried posting the following several times but it wouldn't post for some reason

ok cool. My 51" measurement is just a rough measurement from leafs that are lying around so maybe they have flattened some since they are used. Or maybe the actual measurement isn't center to center of the bushings, but wrap to wrap or something. Either way seems you have the correct length springs. Refresh my brain...those 6 lug leafs you are using are brand new yes? I forgot that part. If they are de arching that much under that small amount of weight, they really are soft and meant more for giving an empty truck a nice ride, and when the loads get real heavy the truck will just rest on the bump stops and still ride fairly soft, which is probably why the stock bump stops are so large with so much rubber. Toyota trucks aren't built like the 1970 Hilux anymore with a 8 leaf pack. lol

I'd like to see more pictures of your truck. Like the stance of it with a side shot of the whole truck.

If you want to haul heavy stuff consider a set of Monroe MA727 air shocks. Then add this controller system and you'll have a sweet setup.

https://www.amazon.com/LIFT-25804-A...767863&sr=8-1&keywords=Air+Lift+air+shock+kit

The 6-lug leaves are brand spankin new.

I called the local spring shop and it would cost $350 to add a leaf to my new 6-lug leaves.

So I think I will try to add a leaf myself from the old 5-lug leaves and add the Monroe MA727s before shelling out that much more cash.

Since most of the bend is happening out at the wing tips of the leaves I'm thinking (and so did the spring shop) that putting in a leaf that extends the whole length of the spring is the best option as opposed to putting in an extra overload spring. but maybe I will do both.

So I will probably need some longer U-bolts.

Update
Got the leaf springs installed. I will post further documentation on the project with part #s and everything for future informational purposes.
Right now the take away result is: I ended up with one of the old 5-lug leaves in the 6-lug leaf spring pack.
further info to follow
and thanks again Randy and Brian for you help!

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Putting a 5 lug leaf in the 6 lug pack sounds like a good move to me, especially since it's a bit more curved too.

I have a bunch of leafs from 6 lug packs that were removed from the packs. The ones commonly taken out. For anyone who needs a long leaf in a situation like yours I'm happy to mail them. In your case you would just cut some off the rear to make the length correct. A cheap affordable method.

Here is my 99 as it sits now. I just gave her a facelift. I'm going to make some 1-1/2" shackles for the rear when I get a chance. I have 04 5 lug packs in the rear. They are a little different at the bushing area (the way the main leaf wraps) than my stock 99 packs I think they lifted the rear a little higher than the 99 packs would have. I can feel the shocks tugging at the ubolt plates when I go over speed bumps. I need longer rear shocks, I'll wait until after I make the shackles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds to me like you're more than half way to getting the truck done, by using 6 lug leafs and shackles. If the rear height is lower than you like, just buy some lift shackles. They can be found online, I also make them, in 1", 1-1/2", 2", 2-1/2", and can also do a 3" set. Normally they are 1-1/2" or 2".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds to me like you're more than half way to getting the truck done, by using 6 lug leafs and shackles. If the rear height is lower than you like, just buy some lift shackles. They can be found online, I also make them, in 1", 1-1/2", 2", 2-1/2", and can also do a 3" set. Normally they are 1-1/2" or 2".
Hello, are you still able to make 3” shackles for a 98 5 lug? I installed the full 3” fabtech spindle lift that came with front & rear shocks & aal. The aal didn’t give me much height due to the Tommy hydraulic lift gate so I got the fabtech 2” shackle. I rub with 31x10r15 15x10 wheels up front so I’ll be adding a 1.5” spacer upfront. I’m hoping to lift the rear a little bit more. I was also thinking of adding another aal if I can find longer U bolts to give the rear more height. What do you think?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,867 Posts
Hello, are you still able to make 3” shackles for a 98 5 lug? ... What do you think?
Beefed Taco hasn't visited CT in 4 years. I'd suggest you send him a private message (start a Conversation) to see if the notification triggers him to respond.

I don't know if Brian is still in business or how to get in touch with him.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts