Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their 4 wheel low give them a problem engaging? Mine would not engage and when it did finally it would'nt disengaga. The only way it would engage is when I shut the truck off and then flipped the switch, started the truck back up and it was engaged.

06 double cab tacoma sport

·
Registered
14 Posts
I encountered this issue a few times when I first used 4LO. To engage it you have to be in 4HI. What I usually do is just put it in 4HI and drive a few feet to make sure it's enabled. Now if you have an automatic you need to have the trans in neutral and have your foot on the brake. If you have a manual you need to have the trans in neutral and your left foot on the clutch all the way to the floor. Then you should slowly move the switch from 4HI to 4LO. Don't ask my why you need to go slow. It just seemed to work for me every time if I did that.

To disengage you need to be in neutral with your foot on the brake or clutch depending on what trans you have. If it wont go out of 4LO after doing all of this sometimes you need to just start over again. If it still won't go out of 4LO, turn the igniton off and then back on and it should reset.

Don't ask me why it does this. I never had a chance to talk to an engineer about it. But after a few thousand times of doing this I got used to it. ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
First...your 4 wheel drive should be an "on the fly" engagement. Meaning it should be a push button. If so, you don't need to drop your tranny into nuetral. If it's a manual engagement lever (shift stick), than you need to put your tranny in nuetral only to shift to low. Make sure you are completely stopped too. For 4hi, you can shift while driving under 15mph. I don't recall ever having a problem with mine engaging low, but I know to disengage it I have to drive back and forth a few feet to get it to unlock. Try that to get it to lock too. Sometimes it takes a minute. If you have a stick shift 4WD lever, the reason you have to shift to 4lo kind of slow is b/c shifting too fast could mesh the gears. Shifting slow will ensure proper alignment of the gears when engaging.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts