Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Taco LX and it is getting the miles racked up on it pretty fast...ive been thinkin of future plans for it and i was going to see if anyone thinks a tundra 4.7L V8 would fit in her....(or even thinks its a good idea?) i want to make a beast out of it....
thanks
Steller

·
Premium Member
10,387 Posts
Most people drop small block Chevy's, I don't know too much about dropping V8's into thing besides it makes a lot more power...

American V8s are a hell of a lot sturdier in most cases though...

·
www.ncp-power.com
4,510 Posts
i believe that one was a 4.3liter, but i may be wrong. a 4.3 will fit no prob, bob. but i dunno about a 4.7. GO FOR IT!!!:waytogo:

·
www.ncp-power.com
4,510 Posts
KAuss said:
Most people drop small block Chevy's, I don't know too much about dropping V8's into thing besides it makes a lot more power...

American V8s are a hell of a lot sturdier in most cases though...
fraid not homie. for every time i ever had ANY problems with a lexus/toyota V8, i've changed about 4 sets of chevy 5.7 intake gaskets. then they get a rod knock because of the coolant that was in the oil. JUNK!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Yeah, go for it ! You're gonna have 100% of the weight right over the front wheel, and 0% over the rear wheel...:funnyup:
Locating a small block Chevy, might be easier than sourcing a Tundra V8.....and cheaper too. (but I'm personally against those Frankestein swaps...)

·
Premium Member
10,387 Posts
Yeap I have no idea where's heads and tails doing those swaps... It just seems everyone that does these look for small blocks... Well for one they fit in a lot of places...

Other than that I'm clueless LOL...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Im sure it will fit...if you got pictures of the engine sides to see where the mounts are located on the block you can then see where the engine will sit in the engine bay (if they bolt up to the same mount style)...im pritty sure it will fit...

You need to change the bell housing on your tranny to the UZ one tho to make it work...im not 100% sure if thats all you need to do to the tranny itself.

Also possible modding of the driveshaft (shorter?) might be needed.

I have thought about this for a long while and it may happen...or the 1gr 4.0 block :waytogo:

·
Registered
190 Posts
steller199 said:
I have a 96 Taco LX and it is getting the miles racked up on it pretty fast...ive been thinkin of future plans for it and i was going to see if anyone thinks a tundra 4.7L V8 would fit in her....(or even thinks its a good idea?) i want to make a beast out of it....
thanks
Steller
http://www.lextreme.com/

·
Registered
190 Posts
1UZ would probably be the best bet. All aluminum. Prolee about the same weight as your 2RZ but about double the power. They are plentiful and not too expensive and I've seen on other forums people are making bolt up kits for the 1UZ 4.0 lexus motor, 2UZ 4.7 toyota motor (iron block), 3UZ 4.3 lexus motor IIRC. I'm pretty sure all use the same basic dimentions for a block so if the 1UZ fits in older 4runners I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have too tuff of a time wedging it in. The heads are big on these things (DOHC) i think just slightly larger than a GM 350.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts