Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1995 taco has the 3rz in it and it runs like a top. I was just wondering whether or not you guys would turbo this thing since it has 196000 miles or it or just swap or rebuild and turbo then.

· YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,712 Posts
well if it's running like a top, I'd rebuild it... hell mine was still running like a truck when I re did the head gasket... It must be bad having your truck run like anything other than a truck, no?

· Registered
8,282 Posts
drop new pistons in, change the gasket to a metal one, get APR studs, turbo it , and call it a day..oh, I forgot...change the oil....:D

· YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,712 Posts
Piston's are pointless unless you plan on runing more than 15psi dd... I'd just change the headgasket, and put in arp head studs, put in a cometic one 1mm then add the turbo system of choice...

Mind you- you'll prolly need to change out the clutch too so go with ARP flywheel bolts too...

· Registered
8,282 Posts
Racer_X said:
Piston's are pointless unless you plan on runing more than 15psi dd... I'd just change the headgasket, and put in arp head studs, put in a cometic one 1mm then add the turbo system of choice...
Pistons are not pointless when we are talking about 196K (I know the Tacoma's are known to be built "tough")...but 196K is 196K....I wouldn't cut corners. Since the head is off, you might as well remove the pistons....that's just me....
Replacing the pistons with forged ones, you will pick up few extra hp (being lighter), which won't hurt...now, does it ?

· YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,712 Posts
No but putting pistons are an extra expense, and unless you're willing go all out then you fix the truck to match your output... Now if he's looking to drag the rails off the truck (which costs lot's of money) then I'm all for your comment, however, He sounds like one of them guys that wants the turbo for daily driving at 7-10psi, for that forged pistons are overkill...

before everything- you need to check your compression to make sure your rings are still good...
good luck!

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want the turbo for that extra go on the highway and getting off of the line. Im not all about shreading tires and massive horsepower i just want more go and 7-10 psi. Which turbo set up would you guys go with? Something like a top mount t3 and i think i want a fmic.

· Registered
14,278 Posts
depends on your money want and needs .. if you wana be able to take it in and out get an intovative one.. and if not get the plx :waytogo: as far as which specific one try e-mailing urd they can help you decide:waytogo:

· Registered
8,282 Posts
I could be wrong, but I thought both untis can be removed. I didn't know that the only one removable "temporarely" is the Innovate.....
How about PLX ?....once it's hooked is hooked....similar to the SAFC 2 from Apexi...

· Registered
8,282 Posts
:lol: Didn't you have a while ago the Apexi SAFC 2 ?....and after that...didn't you buy the Innovate LM 1 ?
so you've got them all...

· YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
10,712 Posts
TBirdsTaco said:
i agree with Alex....while the head is off...i would at least take everything apart and inspect the bearings and replace if needed.....i myself would at least put new rings in it
I agree tearing it down to make sure things are sound, but buying pistons rods and main studs and all that other stuff is overkill if all he wants is 10 psi... you talking an extra thousand pluss and the truck would even be turboed yet...

Fact is neither you nor Alex are turboed, therefore your ideas of expense, and necessity are purely speculative... and speculation is why most people end up wasting their time with i/h/e to begin with...

If he wants a little more power for passing, and tom foolery, then it's our job to inform him how to build for that... I'm not going to tell this guy to go out and Gt35R twin scroll Dual bb turbo, and get a stainless 180 mig welded header and all that stuff if he only wants 10 psi- it's frickin overkill... OTOH- if he were to say I have a goal of 400rwhp I'd be telling him pistons, rods, mainstuds, flywheel studs, 1800lb dual tooth race plate, 6 puck clutch, LSD, gt35r bb turbo, FMIC, and all that...

It's cool that you guys are trying to help, but speculating what should or shouldn't happen is silly. Ask questions, propose ideas, but don't interject as though you have a current turbo setup when you don't have one!

· Premium Member
2,418 Posts
well if all he wants is like ten psi cant he just go s/c? with a smaller pully or somethin :shrug: i know you guys love your turbos and i respect that lol but arnt s/cs a little easier for just gettin round granny on the highway? just my two cents i dunno much about either so im actually just wonderin lol

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First of all of this info is a big help and the s/c for the 3rz are junk from what ive heard. Also setting up for turbo now with only 10psi give me a base to start with if i feel the need for 15psi.

· Premium Member
2,418 Posts
o i got ya... yeah i here there **** to lol but 10psi is 10psi lol i was just throwin it out there but yeah its nice to be able to kick it up if you want cause isnt 10psi like the most you can get outta the s/c? not sure.... well either way good luck man im sure yur trucks gunna kick a$$! :waytogo:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.