Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,212 Posts
As far as I know, the clearance may either increase or decrease over time.

I don't know if there's any valve scheme or arrangement that would only allow the clearance to decrease over time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With time, and without valve adjustment, does valve clearance become less?
Yea. The problem with not having the valves adjusted is what happened to my truck when I first got it. It had 3 burnt/cracked exhaust valves. One was split really badly. I think they’re supposed to be checked every 60k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
You need a good set of feeler gauges, the toyota valve tool. Check all valve clearances and keep them all within range. Theres a youtube video timmy the tool man showing how to do it. Mine was all within range but one valve on cyl 1 was a little off compared to the others, just like the one on the youtube video. Its within range but I changed the shim to make it the same as the others.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You need a good set of feeler gauges, the toyota valve tool. Check all valve clearances and keep them all within range. Theres a youtube video timmy the tool man showing how to do it. Mine was all within range but one valve on cyl 1 was a little off compared to the others, just like the one on the youtube video. Its within range but I changed the shim to make it the same as the others.
Some dude said he uses like a little like short handled pry bar he filed down. I think it’s that you mostly need something to hold the buckets down and slide out the shims.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here’s a decent video about how to do this:

The tools used are Schley Products 88250 & 88251 available on Amazon, ebay, etc. for around $50 for the set.
This was kinda what I meant… this dude uses a Honda bucket and shim tool for a motorcycle… but I’ve seen another guy who uses a small pry bar with a similar shape…

1 - 7 of 7 Posts