Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I’ve been looking for the write up on the less sensitive knock sensors. Do you by chance have a link for that write up? I believe I’m dealing with the same issues that you are. Except my timing goes all the way down to 2 and sometimes 0 going up a hill or in high wind with 33s.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update and somewhat solved. I replaced the factory knock sensor with a Chevy knock sensor that user Dick4x4 on here recommended, Knock Sensor, and I no longer have issues with timing retard or power loss on uphill climbs and heavy load. I still hear slight ticking/knocking sound @ 3.0k-3.1k rpm and I'm still unsure what is causing it, all I can think is there is something that is causing a vibration in that rev range and it matches the frequency the oem sensor would signal the ecm as knock/pinging. The sensor I replaced has "Toyota" stamped on it and matching part number for an exact OEM sensor, probably the original one that has been on its different engines for 320k miles, so it could have even been a worn out sensor or even the wiring/pigtail was compromised.

I'm going to pull the belt off the supercharger and see if I can replicate the sound, and I have yet to replace any of the parts I mentioned that were also worn. If any of those eliminate the sound I'm hearing ill post here again with the fix.

·
Registered
89 Posts
After reading half of Dick’s thread I had a thought. What if you put an O ring between OEM sensor and block? The bolt would still resonate the sensor but it would receive less from the bock. Similar to how he explains the GM sensors mount up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update and somewhat solved. I replaced the factory knock sensor with a Chevy knock sensor that user Dick4x4 on here recommended, Knock Sensor, and I no longer have issues with timing retard or power loss on uphill climbs and heavy load. I still hear slight ticking/knocking sound @ 3.0k-3.1k rpm and I'm still unsure what is causing it, all I can think is there is something that is causing a vibration in that rev range and it matches the frequency the oem sensor would signal the ecm as knock/pinging. The sensor I replaced has "Toyota" stamped on it and matching part number for an exact OEM sensor, probably the original one that has been on its different engines for 320k miles, so it could have even been a worn out sensor or even the wiring/pigtail was compromised.

I'm going to pull the belt off the supercharger and see if I can replicate the sound, and I have yet to replace any of the parts I mentioned that were also worn. If any of those eliminate the sound I'm hearing ill post here again with the fix.
Thank you for getting back to me! I think I’m going to just have to try this. Seems I am having the exact issues you are. Did you go with the SU1075 or the SU4669 knock sensor?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank you for getting back to me! I think I’m going to just have to try this. Seems I am having the exact issues you are. Did you go with the SU1075 or the SU4669 knock sensor?
1075, I also rerouted the wiring. The oe sensor wiring is shielded so I made sure it's as far away from spark plug wires as possible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
After reading half of Dick’s thread I had a thought. What if you put an O ring between OEM sensor and block? The bolt would still resonate the sensor but it would receive less from the bock. Similar to how he explains the GM sensors mount up.
Might be tough to get the threads to hold if you cant torque it to the block but maybe the rubber o ring would act like a split washer.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts