Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Waxed to Perfection
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
4th Generation Super Chargers, nosedrive kit.. Only available thru a few select Toyota Dealerships.. Part# - PTR29-35042... Its a complete "new" nose drive, no core charge. List Price-$350.00.. If you need one let me know, I can get them thru Conicelli Toyota for $275.00 (A; I am a vendor of theirs, B: I have a account set up that gives my shop a great discount..)
Kit comes with new nose drive, phelonic drive adaptor, fill plug, Loctite Gasket eliminator, 120ml Gear Lube, and fill nozzle.
Old Toyota part # - 00602-17620-226 This kit can no longer be purchased from TRD (per Bob at TRD).. Must be purchased thru Toyota..

·
Waxed to Perfection
5,658 Posts
Re: 3.4 Supercharger Nose-Drive Replacement w/pics

Ok, did the nosedrive swap today, just so you know, my s/c has apprx 90,000 miles on it without ever having a gear oil change.. So after reading the TRD instructions last night. I decided to wing it, and not remove the supercharger, as after looking it over decided there was actually no need to do so.. So here goes: My 1st attempt at a tech tip..

Pic 1, typical 3.4 s/c setup..

Step 1: with a long handle 3/8" ratchet, release belt tension and slip off the s/c belt. Undo bolt that holds the throttle cable and vacuum hose and move these to items towards rear of supercharger out of the way.

Step 2: I used a large syringe and small hose to drain old gear oil out of the s/c.. (Note: If you only need a ger oil change, then drain out old oil, refill with 120ml, (4 oz's). of s/c gear oil, replace drain plug, replace belt and your done.

Step 3: Remove dynamic tensioner

And remove tensioner bracket, notice the dipstick tube hold down bolt, remove the bolt.

Next remove timing belt cover bolts and unplug the electrical plug on the far left bottom of timing cover.You will slide the spark plug wire loom clamps off the timing cover out of the way. Slide the upper radiator hose clamp back about 5 inches, and manuver the timing cover towards the fan apprx 3-4 inches.

Attachments

·
Waxed to Perfection
5,658 Posts

Per TRD remove the bolts holding the nosedrive in this order.. You will also replace them and tighten them in this order later..

I placed a towel beneath the nosedrive just in case I left some gear oil in it, however vey little seeped out You will wiggle the nosedrive unit from side to side to get it loosened, may require a small nudge with a rubber mallet..

Once loosened and apart, you will see the phenolic drive assy plate (also known as the shaft coupler).

Attachments

·
Waxed to Perfection
5,658 Posts

It will pull off towards you with little resistance.

Clean off all the old sealant at this time, then open the bags containing the new parts..

Install the new phenolic adapter plate.

Apply the supplied locktite gasket eliminator to the nosedrive seal surface.

And now re-install the drive to the supercharger.. Use care to insure the coupler attachement pins align with the flanges..

Reinstall the 8 bolts and torque them to 20 ftlbs.. Be sure to tighten in the correct sequence:

Wipe off any excess gasket eliminator..

Now reinstall the timing belt cover, and slide spark plug wire loom clamps back into place, plug in the electrical connector, bolt down dipstick, reinstall dynamic tensioner, install belts and fill the supercharger with the supplied gear oil.. Replace the drain plug with the newly supplied plug.. Reinstall the brackets for the throttle cable and vacuum hose, ensure your upper radiator hose clamp is back in place and you should be done..

Start to finish it took me 1 hour45 minutes, using hand tools, no air &that was with 20 minutes of stand around time for the gasket stuff to set up, and time for me to take these pictures.. Hope this helps anyone else doing this..

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks good Ray. They wanted to sell me that whole nose drive cause the input shaft seal was seaping a little.Said the seal was not replaceable.

·
Waxed to Perfection
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Waxed to Perfection
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On Wednesdays, within 50 feet.. I live 25-30 minutes away from them, what can I get for you?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I
rebuilt my hole blower for around 150.00 including the gas driving around , I went to world wide bearings and ordered all the bearings for the M62 blower and on the fins of the turbines the paint coating was a little worn, i taped the ends and ran a thin coat of hi temp aluminum paint to compensate from the wear on the paint due to running with out oil on my filter and in the inner housing i used aluminum polish and a polish wheel and had all the bearings pressed out and new ones pressed in at the machine shop for $20.00 Evan the two rear bearings but the two on the gear to turbine bearings could not be replaced, only magnuson could replace them but they seldom wear out, you must check if the turbines are hitting if so your screwed , every bearing and the oil seal upgraded coupler and supercharger oil can be ordered at worldwide bearings phone # 973 227 4007 if you only want to rebuild the nose gear and your shaft is not worn the kit its about $60.00 with top quality bearings if you shaft is worn a machine shop can re tool it for about $40.00

·
Waxed to Perfection
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds good.. What did you use to check the tolerences between the rotors for proper air flow? I'm assuming that since you had them out to paint them and polish the case upon re-install you had to check the gap between the rotors for proper distance.. I know on the old Detroit 6V71 blowers, we used a very long set of feeler gauges specifically designed to go between the rotors as they were rotated to ensure the distance was the same on every revolution.. Just curious, as to what you used and where did you aquire the specs for the proper gap etc.. I hve looked but have not found it yet.. And Magnuson won't give out that info..

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I also took a few mill of aluminum off the inlet port with a dremel and polished that and also on the exhaust end of the m62 housing for better flow, a company is charging 300 just to do that to magnusons blowers, I used a paint mill tester and it was 3 mill, after scoring the lines with a blade i chipped away the old paint with a painters 5 in 1 tool and went up to 4 mill and hoping and praying to the gods that it would clear and assembled it all and gave it a spin , no rubin so after powder coating the blower reassembling with the clean black bolts i put it all on and ;) all 9.3 psi on a 2.1 Pulley.:headbang: I shoulda took photos ! any one with a average IQ can rebuild a m62 it was very easy and besides the URD kit the removal and install took about an hour or so.but not the rebuild :lol: :lol: :funnyup: :lol: :funnyup: And people are sending there blowers back to magnuson for all that $$$$

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Angus1 said:
Looks good Ray. They wanted to sell me that whole nose drive cause the input shaft seal was seaping a little.Said the seal was not replaceable.
the oil seals are cheep you gota know the size, magnuson used two different size shafts I think if your bearings are ok You can just replace you old one by using a sheet rock screw and screwing it in just enough to get a grip on the oil seal and it pops wright off and maby get a smaller one just one mm for and new oil to get ya by. It should cost you about $20.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It stoped seaping though I keep a close eye on it cause I know there isnt much oil in the nose drive. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gadget, are the rear bearings in the 4th Gen SC known to wear out and if at what interval?
I am getting ready to get the nose drive kit but worry about rear bearing failure and that means the engine gets hit with shreds of the turbine.
I have been looking but not able to find info as of yet. Any help would be great.

Thanks ...

Ricochet

·
Registered
2 Posts
4th Generation Super Chargers, nosedrive kit.. Only available thru a few select Toyota Dealerships.. Part# - PTR29-35042... Its a complete "new" nose drive, no core charge. List Price-$350.00.. If you need one let me know, I can get them thru Conicelli Toyota for $275.00 (A; I am a vendor of theirs, B: I have a account set up that gives my shop a great discount..)
Kit comes with new nose drive, phelonic drive adaptor, fill plug, Loctite Gasket eliminator, 120ml Gear Lube, and fill nozzle.
Old Toyota part # - 00602-17620-226 This kit can no longer be purchased from TRD (per Bob at TRD).. Must be purchased thru Toyota..
Thank you very much for the new part number's!! I have tried to get a rebuild kit or just parts and gaskets!? But to no avail!!?? WTF? I may be calling out to you for the bearing's. Mahalo Nui Loa Kimo :)

·
Waxed to Perfection
5,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, this post is like 8 years ago. I don't think Conicelli has any of the nose drives left. I have one. No phelonic adapter, just the nose drive. Super Charger oil is available at any GM Dealership, as they sell the small bottles to service their SC'r line. Good luck, finding what you need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I
rebuilt my hole blower for around 150.00 including the gas driving around , I went to world wide bearings and ordered all the bearings for the M62 blower and on the fins of the turbines the paint coating was a little worn, i taped the ends and ran a thin coat of hi temp aluminum paint to compensate from the wear on the paint due to running with out oil on my filter and in the inner housing i used aluminum polish and a polish wheel and had all the bearings pressed out and new ones pressed in at the machine shop for $20.00 Evan the two rear bearings but the two on the gear to turbine bearings could not be replaced, only magnuson could replace them but they seldom wear out, you must check if the turbines are hitting if so your screwed , every bearing and the oil seal upgraded coupler and supercharger oil can be ordered at worldwide bearings phone # 973 227 4007 if you only want to rebuild the nose gear and your shaft is not worn the kit its about $60.00 with top quality bearings if you shaft is worn a machine shop can re tool it for about $40.00
Thanks for the tips and phone number!!

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,678 Posts
stupid question - how do you tell what generation Toyota supercharger you have?
Welcome to CT ...

The 3.4L 5VZ TRD superchargers basically went through two generations. The earlier ones were light grey (some say tan) in color. The later ones were black.

A description of the differences (with illustrative photos) can be found on Gadget's old supercharger webpage:

:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts