Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
repacked front bearings 6k miles ago (june 2018). Now I feel notable play top to bottom, but every little front to back. Should i re tighten them?

2003 2wd 2.4L 5sp, 78k miles(not a typo)

central florida

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,813 Posts
It couldn't hurt to pull 'em and then reinstall / tighten them.

Could it be something other than the bearings that's causing the play / slop? I'm having a hard time figuring out how worn bearings would cause vertical play without equivalent horizontal play.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me too. On front ud expect side to side play b more.

Why does this site want me to register for a new acct, but hide its logon function?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Me too. On front ud expect side to side play b more.

Why does this site want me to register for a new acct, but hide its logon function?
How are your upper and lower balljoints looking?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when I said top to bottom in my 1st post i didnt mean up and down I meant in and out, just side side to side is in and out.
well i needed a wrench to break it loose. it wasn't that tight but my fingers on greasy nut couldn't loosen it.
Look:
and
and should it make this noise? press as hard as I can it goes from 5/8 to 1 full revolution, here:
that noise dont sound right

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im gunna take apart. Is this right tightness when I reassemble or is this too tight?
at 12:36

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The easiest way to check wheel bearings is to just let the tire hang and grab the tire with your hands on the front and rear of the tire and try to rock it on the spindle. if you have any play then the wheel bearing is loose. The same goes for the vertical check, top and bottom of the tire and try to rock it on the spindle. if the play is equal in both directions then wheel bearings need more torque applied, if it's worse top to bottom than it is front to back I'd suspect ball joints. If it's worse front to back than up to down, then look at steering components.

I've never seen anyone use a board to move the tire like that to check bearings. To me, that'd check more of shock/spring than wheel bearings.

I'm going through this same issue on my 86 4runner mud toy. Just finished repacking bearings today. It's gonna need all new steering components as well... I feel your pain.

Reactions: Enola Gaia

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed.

My right bearing nut was loose. Maybe the left was too.

Remember 4 February 2021 both wheels no wiggle left to right, but slight wiggle top to bottom. Right side slightly more.

Repacked all four bearings 5k mi ago. No wiggle after 500 and 1k miles, but now top to bottom wiggle.

So, a few days ago I removed the wheels and then could not right left or top bottom wiggle. Reinstall wheels and the added leverage allowed me to top bottom wiggle. However, the wheel weight was stopping right left wiggle (I think Id have to lift the wheel slightly to right left wiggle). On right side w\o wheel I could pull push the hub-rotar and feel, hear, and see it move in and out. Still, i could not right left or top bottom wiggle it (not enough leverage?). I reinstalled wheel and that extra weight prevented pull-push movement.
Cleaned and inspected all bearings, races, and spindles. All were fine. The right spindle had some black marks, but felt smooth. Lucky me.

I did notice something with my upper ball joint(s), but that is unrelated, so I started another thread for it. See "Ball joint issue?"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts