Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all doing a valve adjustment on a 2rz and had to purchase a couple new shims to get it sorted. Upon reception of the shims they appear to have a dull protective coating on them (maybe corrosion protection) and are not mirror finished like the ones that I'm swapping them with. My assumption is to remove this finish? Or is it ready for install as is?? If it needs to be removed what do I use?? Thanks again in advance for the help!

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,643 Posts
That's a new one on me ... I can't find any mention of shim finish here on CT, nor can I find any mention of shim finish / texture issues elsewhere.

I'm hard pressed to believe they'd sell shims that had to be surface-ground before use, but I simply don't know one way or the other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea thats were I was at with it as well. I found a video on youtube under 3rz valve adjustment and the dude happens to use a brand new shim(which appears to have a similar coating as the ones I just bought) and just drops it in with a touch of oil, he actually drops it in with the marking side up which was interesting. Either way i guess ill just torch a cam if im wrong, no biggy haha. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I put new shims from Toyota in my 2rz when I did a forged rebuild. I did not remove any coatings from the shims. 20 psi, and a ton of high revs later, no issues to report thus far. lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts