Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that's it's getting cold out again but I still want to keep my Tacoma NICE & SHINY....

I have mechanical door locks, driver/passenger side...

I will typically power-wash at the self/quarter carwash, wash in the driveway [+38F] or automatic wash [BELOW 24F]....

[Coin/Power-wash/Driveway] I always towel dry the truck afterwards including the doorjams. At times, I would forget to spray WD-40 or some type of spray penentrant into the key holes [Driver/Passenger].

[Autowash] I have to use "Gorilla-Tape" and cover both key holes before entering....And continue to keep replacing the "G-T" pieces as they fall off with new tape...

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................

If I don't, the next morning I can't get the key to turn in the key lock -OR- can't get the key in at all.... So I have to have a lighter handy with me & warm the cut-key section until its hot to the touch.

Then with the hot key, "wiggle" it either in & out or twisting back & forth.... re-heat the key again & repeat... until the lock moves freely.

Plus, during the summer, I pulled the interior door panels & watched how the key operates the lock- so I jammed silicone grease on the "backside" and on the key from the outside. This seemed to help but now I'm back to this issue.

And it's getting kinda annoying 'cause I gotta wash weekly now since I'm OCD about having a clean vehicle...

Is there something I'm missing?

Any better IDEAs?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Honestly, I think the best option long term is to get either an alarm or better yet a remote starter. You can add power door lock solenoids to either and they would solve your annoying frozen lock cylinder problem for good. By adding power locks, the locks would be operated by the lock rod rather than the cylinders. You'd never need to use the lock cylinders again if you chose to.

I live in So Cal and can count the the days below freezing on one hand but absolutely love my remote starter. I use it everyday throughout the year. When it's 30 F I can start the truck and get the cab nice and toasty. It also warms the oil at idle RPMs vs driving RPMs and that alone is worth it to me.

I have a Viper 5706V but there are other cheaper options out there. I installed it myself and even hooked up a wifi module and can start my truck via an Alexa voice command when I'm home. Anywhere else, I just use the long range remote and it gives me a confirmation beep/vibration and indicator showing the truck started. Honestly, the remote starter was one of the best vehicle related purchases I've ever made.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2002 with power locks. The key hold worked fine on drivers side until I had the truck taken apart for new paint job. Now it wont unlock cause the key will not turn left. It's like there is something stock cause it just won't go that way. Any ideas to fix it?or is it a lock Smith thing? Don't want to have to pay a dealer a ton.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,086 Posts
Does the key turn the other way, or won't it turn in either direction?

What (if anything) was done with the driver-side door when they did the paint job? Was it removed and / or disassembled?

There's a rod or linkage between the key lock unit and the main (power) latching unit. This mechanical linkage may be jammed or binding.

There's always the chance paint spray got into something and has gummed up the works.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're going to need to remove the door panel-

With the interior door panel off, you will be able to see the key/lock mechanism... check the electrical connections... maybe "loose"?

Also, grab a spray-can of penetrating-oil and partially insert the key into the key-hole opening and spray the key plus the partially "exposed" mechanism.

On the interior door frame, with the window "up/closed", I place a towel-rag on the bottom of the door & sprayed directly at the door-lock/key mechanism too.

Give a couple good shots... start twisting the key gently back & forth/left-to-right... had this happen on a Ford... did this to it & now the key lock on the Ford works fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts