Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,134 Posts
On the truck's original 2RZ the cluster's water temp gauge would have grounded to ground point EF (ignition Coil Bracket). That ground line should be brown and run through the IK2 connector at pin 9.

Check to see whether you still have a ground connection from the gauge.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
On the truck's original 2RZ the cluster's water temp gauge would have grounded to ground point EF (ignition Coil Bracket). That ground line should be brown and run through the IK2 connector at pin 9.

ill have to check, I even put the stock 2rz water temp sender in the water neck and it pegs the gauge out on hot almost instantly soon as the truck gets started bascially.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

This worked! I took pin 9 and placed it on ground and it read properly! Thank you.

So you perhaps have the electrical diagram for the whole Toyota Tacoma truck?

I was trying to find more info on the pins on the ik2 connector.

I'm trying to figure out how to get my speedo working.. Thinking maybe it's like the water temp and it needs a ground as well.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,134 Posts
... I was trying to find more info on the pins on the ik2 connector. ...
Here (attached) is the 2003 wiring / connector reference section on harness connections and connectors. The IK2 pin layout is illustrated inside this doc.

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,134 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how to get my speedo working.. Thinking maybe it's like the water temp and it needs a ground as well.
The speedo itself doesn't have its own dedicated ground. It grounds (directly or indirectly) to one or another of the ground points for the instrument cluster.

See the instrument cluster wiring diagram I previously posted and check all the listed ground points to see whether another one is disconnected (whatever).

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,134 Posts
Are you going to be using the OEM Taco rear end (differential)?

If so, the A340 speed sensor might work with the '03 Taco speedometer, but there are multiple "ifs". The biggest "if" is "if the A340 speed sensor is sending a pulsed signal representing the rpm's on the final output shaft of the transmission."

If your speedo is receiving the final rpm reading off the tranny output and you're using the stock Taco rear end (and final gear ratio) there may be no calibration adjustment necessary (all other things such as wheel / tire size remaining the same).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Here (attached) is the 2003 wiring / connector reference section on harness connections and connectors. The IK2 pin layout is illustrated inside this doc.
I downloaded this link but all it showed me was the location of the connectors.

Are you going to be using the OEM Taco rear end (differential)?

If so, the A340 speed sensor might work with the '03 Taco speedometer, but there are multiple "ifs". The biggest "if" is "if the A340 speed sensor is sending a pulsed signal representing the rpm's on the final output shaft of the transmission."

If your speedo is receiving the final rpm reading off the tranny output and you're using the stock Taco rear end (and final gear ratio) there may be no calibration adjustment necessary (all other things such as wheel / tire size remaining the same).
It seems to be that way as it looks that the a340 gives speed signal to the ecu
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,134 Posts

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,134 Posts
It seems to be that way as it looks that the a340 gives speed signal to the ecu
No, it doesn't ... On a 2003 Taco with a tach cluster the vehicle speed sensor feeds a signal to the cluster itself (the Control Circuit built into the cluster's circuit board).

The ECM gets its speed signal from the cluster. I don't know whether the cluster's Control Circuit changes the raw signal coming from the A340 speed sensor or simply passes the incoming pulsed signal through to the ECM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
No, it doesn't ... On a 2003 Taco with a tach cluster the vehicle speed sensor feeds a signal to the cluster itself (the Control Circuit built into the cluster's circuit board).

The ECM gets its speed signal from the cluster. I don't know whether the cluster's Control Circuit changes the raw signal coming from the A340 speed sensor or simply passes the incoming pulsed signal through to the ECM.
Sorry, I meant the A340 from the 2JZGTE, as the the pics I posted earlier.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts