Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm starting this thread to get all the good stuff for the 22R motors all in one place for everyone to see.

-I've got quite a bit of simple tips that can increase power for the motor, with all models, changing the header is one of the best mods for power increase. For a true cold air intake, DONT use metal tubing, use ABS plastic, plastic acts as an insulator to repel heat, metal attracts it! as far as filters go, dont look at me! lol. Also, the MAF unit can be opened up and adjusted for quicker throttle response (more noticable on short ram intakes). But the main thing to keep in mind when it comes to performance is more in equals more out, more air means you can burn more fuel for more power, if done right!

·
Registered
753 Posts
dang i jocked that truck for so long when i had my pickups. i marked it as a favorite page. i had copied almost all of your mods cept the maf and TB. my trucks hauled ass too. even with 31s on em. the internet is a small world.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, all the good aftermarket components you will find with LC, you get what you pay for... Also ceramic coating those high heat producing/conducting components helps alot too.

Now to mod you MAF:
-you will need: boxcutting-blade, a tube of electronic silicon sealer, and a small flathead screw driver (for electronic purpose)
-looking at your MAF, you will cut along the original seal (to remove the black plastic cover) which will expose the component you will be adjusting.
-with the engine running and the cover off, perform a "snap-test" of the throttle, and you will see the needle move with the increase of air into the manifold.
-now, if you are running a normal intake, 1-2 clicks of advance will quicken the throttle responce, any more will ruin the engines performance. For short ram intakes, more clicks may be required.
-snap-test the throttle again, and then do a slow increase in rpm, and back to a quick snap, you may or may not notice the quicker throttle responce on a normal intake until the engine is under load.
-after desired MAF position is set, reinstall the black MAF cover and seal it in with the silcon, and let dry.... now go drive!!

·
Registered
147 Posts

I can probably provide all of the 22RTE performance tips you'd ever need, 'cause I've tried just about everything at least once.

Best formula for the RTE motor:

T3/T4 turbo (something like a .50 trim impeller, .48 A/R exhaust is good, as the .63 may be too big for this motor, which doesn't rev all that well past 6k.)
Complete 3" exhaust and downpipe (if using the stock CT20, this guy sells a 22RTE-specific 2.5" DP)
1982 Supra AFM (if using the stock ECU) or better yet, MAP-based standalone EFI
22RTE fuel cut mod (described in this .pdf file.)
ARP head studs and MLS gasket
bigger injectors sized for boost (~450cc/min for 15 psi)
FMIC if no A/C, otherwise air-to-water IC if A/C is present
DOA Racing Engines C270 cam or their custom turbo cam
Some professional head work to unshroud the valves
Forged pistons/Eagle rods/ARP rod bolts probably all nice-to-haves as well...

Add a professional tune (via a SMT6 or standalone) and you've got a pretty fast ride. Remember, the stock RTE only put 136 hp to the flywheel, so the motor has a significant amount of potential...

That will get you going, but like most things, the real power is in the quality of the final tune.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

MOSK your truck kicks ass i read your entire site, great job man! if you have n e 22rte parts left over let me know

·
Registered
1 Posts

I can probably provide all of the 22RTE performance tips you'd ever need, 'cause I've tried just about everything at least once.

Best formula for the RTE motor:

T3/T4 turbo (something like a .50 trim impeller, .48 A/R exhaust is good, as the .63 may be too big for this motor, which doesn't rev all that well past 6k.)
Complete 3" exhaust and downpipe (if using the stock CT20, this guy sells a 22RTE-specific 2.5" DP)
1982 Supra AFM (if using the stock ECU) or better yet, MAP-based standalone EFI
22RTE fuel cut mod (described in this .pdf file.)
ARP head studs and MLS gasket
bigger injectors sized for boost (~450cc/min for 15 psi)
FMIC if no A/C, otherwise air-to-water IC if A/C is present
DOA Racing Engines C270 cam or their custom turbo cam
Some professional head work to unshroud the valves
Forged pistons/Eagle rods/ARP rod bolts probably all nice-to-haves as well...

Add a professional tune (via a SMT6 or standalone) and you've got a pretty fast ride. Remember, the stock RTE only put 136 hp to the flywheel, so the motor has a significant amount of potential...

That will get you going, but like most things, the real power is in the quality of the final tune.
Thanks for the fuel cut PDF. I've been hunting for a clear description of how to solve this issue.
Can't wait to give it a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts