Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 TRD Sport 4 door
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a 2018 Toyota Tacoma with 12,000 km. It is washed weekly, never taken off road. This was a replacement truck for our originally purchased 2018 truck that had 3 transmissions, 3 torque converters, numerous code updates and a computer replaced that still would not work after only 800 km. My husband brought this truck home yesterday after washing it and backed it into the driveway like he normally does and put the emergency brake on. This is his normal procedure. We were going out last night at suppertime, but the back tires were seized up solid. It looks like he did a burn out in the driveway. He has tried everything possible to free those tires and nothing works. We have called the dealership and had it towed this morning. They said they never heard tell of it, but I am seeing others have had the same problems and I assume Toyota knows something. I am not trusting Toyota after the nightmare we lived the first time with his original truck. Anyone out there that can add experiences or provide more information for us. This is the first time this has happened. It was a warm day so brakes should have dried quickly and he drove it back home from car wash with no issues. He said he did not hear any noises that were different, no clunking, etc. Thanks all, you are appreciated. I forgot to add it is a TRD Sport 4 x4, 4 door, 6 foot box.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,910 Posts
What are the specifics on the model / trim / equipment on this truck? Is it a 4X4 or a 2WD model? If a 4X4, does it have the TRD trim / package? Etc., etc.

Reactions: Dirtboy

·
Registered
2018 TRD Sport 4 door
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are the specifics on the model / trim / equipment on this truck? Is it a 4X4 or a 2WD model? If a 4X4, does it have the TRD trim / package? Etc., etc.
Sorry, I should have added that. It is a TRD Sport 4 x4, 4 door, 6 foot box.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,910 Posts
It sounds to me like the parking brake control / cable / connection is jammed in the "engaged" position. This is my #1 guess.

I suppose there's an outside chance that leaving it parked with the parking brake engaged somehow allowed the rear brakes to bind somehow (quick corrosion inside the drums?).

The other wild guess is that the ABS is screwed up (maybe a short circuit in the controller or wiring?) that's causing the ABS controller to engage the rear wheels only. The "limited slip differential" on this model isn't really an LSD but something emulated by the ABS.

·
Registered
2016 SR5 2WD
15 Posts
I vote for the emergency brake being locked. Some have taken hammer to the rear drums to knock the brake lose. I'm not saying that's what you should do, but I've heard it works.😁

·
Registered
2018 TRD Sport 4 door
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies, they are appreciated. Would that lock up both tires...there was not one bit of movement with them. There is about 15 feet of drag marks in driveway where hubby worked trying to unlock the wheels and the tow truck driver had to drag it up on the flatbed. It has been at the dealer since yesterday morning and we have not heard anything, so obviously not a quick fix. I read another guy with a 2018, same issue and a guy with a 2020 with 4000 miles on it same issue. This all happened to them after a vehicle wash. Our truck is washed every week and this is the first time an issue. Makes no sense. There were 250,000 recalled.... years 2016 and 2017 in the US for this reason. Our 2018 only has 12,000 km on it and never off road. This is my hubby's baby. I am so sad for him as this is a replacement truck. His original purchase could not be driven after 800 km. Toyota replaced 3 transmission, 3 torque converters, numerous code upgrades, new computer and they could not fix it. Of the 10 months he had it in 2018, the dealership had it for 5 and only replaced it when we threatened legal. So, for him to be going through something again with this replacement truck is truly disheartening.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,910 Posts
Unless it's a jam in the mechanical (parking brake) connection or a failure with the ABS / VSC / Auto-LSD system, the jam is farther forward in the drivetrain (i.e., the transmission).

If the transmission were jammed in the Park position that would also explain it. There have been loads of problems reported with the automatic transmission used on this generation of Tacomas.

If this were a TRD Off Road Taco with the locking differential I might suspect a jam involving the locker, but the TRD Sport didn't have the locker.

·
Registered
2018 TRD Sport 4 door
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unless it's a jam in the mechanical (parking brake) connection or a failure with the ABS / VSC / Auto-LSD system, the jam is farther forward in the drivetrain (i.e., the transmission).

If the transmission were jammed in the Park position that would also explain it. There have been loads of problems reported with the automatic transmission used on this generation of Tacomas.

If this were a TRD Off Road Taco with the locking differential I might suspect a jam involving the locker, but the TRD Sport didn't have the locker.
It truly makes no sense, he drove it home after washing it, no issues at all. Backed in into driveway and put E brake on like he always does. Two hours later that thing is not moving. I think I was madder than him, I would have dragged the ass out of it. This is the second one we are having issues with. First one they replaced, had 3 transmission put in, 3 torque converters and still not fixed. That had under 1000 km on it. Front wheels were turning on this one, but those back ones were not budging. He had to suffer and go in my Santa Fe....lol His nickname is not black cloud for no reason....lol.

·
Registered
2018 TRD Sport 4 door
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So we just heard from dealer. They are going to replace brake drums and rear shoes. This may be the problem. Seriously, we heard this so much with the first truck they replaced they we do not get our hopes up.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,910 Posts
Try to find out what exactly the problem is. I've seen multiple reports of the brake drums being out of round on that era's Tacos, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how out-of-round drums could cause a total lock-up of the rear wheels.

·
Registered
2018 TRD Sport 4 door
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, we are picking up truck on Monday. Dealer told hubby they replaced drums and rear shoes. Also told him when he washes truck, he needs to drive it afterward to dry it out. Truck is washed at least once a week and this is first time rear tires seized. What if he goes through a large puddle...this does not make any sense to me at all.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
My 2019 TRD offroad 6mt had a similar issue, but not nearly as drastic. I took it to a car wash, then parked in the vacuum area and cleaned it out. Went to leave and it didn't move very easily. Double checked that I had released the parking brake, and pulled forward back into the spot I was in, and tried again. This time the truck legit stalled and wouldn't move. so I actuated the parking brake off and on a couple of times and it seemed to finally release it. Weirdest thing, because it has yet to happen again. That was when it had like 3k miles on it, and now it is just shy of 13k.

Might I ask, if it's an auto, why are you setting the parking brake? is your driveway a really steep incline? That's not to take away that the parking brake should work, so don't get me wrong. But using the parking brake is really unnecessary in an auto vehicle unless you're on a really steep incline.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts