Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used 2015 Tacoma Prerunner. I'm looking to do a complete switchout on both front and rear seats. They all have some odd smell that I cant seem to get rid of and they must go. Can someone steer me in the right direction? I dont want racing style seats with five point harness. Prefer something similar to factory seats that include the fold down with storage options that are in the rear. Help please!! I'm a Tacoma newbie!

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
(1) Welcome to CT! :waytogo:

(2) Is the main goal to get rid of the odor, or do you simply want "better" new seats?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
One additional comment at this point ...

As far as I know you're not going to find aftermarket seats for the rear. No matter what you decide to do about the front seats your reasonable options for the rear are:

- removal and deep-cleaning (e.g., by an interior or detailing shop) and / or ...
- removal and reupholstering them (completely change out the original fabric covers)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My main goal is to get rid of odor and there is no way to do it other then getting new seating or re upholstering. I'm open to getting new seat for front and re upholstering the back.

What do you reccomend on front that is cost effective?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
If you're happy enough with the stock / OEM seating, the most economical approach would be either deep cleaning or reupholstering the seats you've got.

The second most economical approach would be to locate and obtain replacement OEM seats (e.g., from a recycler).

Aftermarket seats can get quite expensive, and most of the name-brand aftermarket seats will require you to purchase that company's adapters and / or bases to fit them inside your 2015 Taco.

It's been a long time since I researched seats, so I'm not sure what's out there (in general) or who offers adapters / bases to fit a late model Tacoma.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The odor is trapped in the foam. Everytime you clean the fabric you'll make it better for awhile, but whatever is in the foam will quickly come back out. Typically the hotter the day the faster it'll return. House carpet is like that. You'll get a stain and have it cleaned, and it'll look pretty good for awhile. But the liquid oozed into the foam pad, so eventually the stain reemerges. So if you ever buy carpet get the best darn pad with a plastic barrier to prevent that very scenario.

If I had your seats I'd remove the seats and take the fabric off. I'd then soak the foam in hot water with a soapy cleaner and deodorizer. I'd periodically squeeze all the water and soap out and resubmerge. I'd then let them thoroughly dry outside in full sun for several days. Only then, assuming they smelled ok, would I reassemble and reinstall.

The gnarliest smell I ever experienced was a cressida where the owner died and they didn't discover him for a week. That seat had to be tossed and burned. But the second worst was a Prius where the kids had spilt milk all over the back seat. The smell was just horrendous on a warm/hot day. That required removing the foam and deep cleaning.

You can always have a upholsterer replace the foam, but you should be able to clean it. Still, either way will be cheaper than buying new seats. You can always buy new aftermarket seats for the front, but I can almost guarantee you that they'll be way harder and less comfortable than factory, and not cheap. But to each their own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts