Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for any and all help i can get for info! im starting a engine build for my tacoma. i have an turbo diesel thats all mechanical so getting it in and operating is going to be simple. but what im wondering. i want to get my tach and my speedo to work, i dont need atrac and i already fooled my 4wd ecu so i will still have my locker. i just was wondering what anyone had for harness info? should i just forget about wanting my Tach or think theres a way i can cheat it? i know the om606 reads off cam. maybe i can convert signal?

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,232 Posts
(1) Welcome to CT!

(2) What are you going to use as your engine controller / ECM?

(3) Does your Taco have the 1GR V6?

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,232 Posts
Here (attached) is the 2009 instrument cluster wiring diagram.

The circuitry in the cluster is something of a black box, so it's unclear what's being done inside it to drive the tach. The tach signal doesn't come directly from the engine - it comes from the ECM. The ECM is also a black box, so I can't tell what sort of signal is being fed to the cluster.

Based on this diagram it appears to me the tach signal to the ECM probably comes from the crankshaft position sensor.

I don't know and can't tell from my available documentation what sort of signal is being used to send rpm to the ECM, nor do I know how the ECM (or maybe the cluster itself) is calculating the rpms from whatever signal it's getting.

Assuming it's a pulsed signal of some sort I suppose there's a chance you could drive the OEM tach off whatever signal could be supplied from the OM606 whatever sensor and / or whatever engine controller you're using.

You might have to wire in a signal calibrator module if any signal translation is required.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts