Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
FOUND!
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I was on the highway, doing about 70 MPH with a trailer and a 500cc 4x4 ATV on the trailer when I had to slam the brakes on. When I went to shift out of 4th (yes I was probably passing someone in 4th on the highway) the tranny didnt want to let the stick shift come out of 4th, finally I lost enough speed or something and worked it out of 4th and got it into 3rd or whatever and went on.....shortly after, it did the same thing, didnt want to come out of 4th, then I felt a few other times over the trip that it didnt want to come out of 2nd, 4th, and 6th. Also it didnt want to go into 4th, or 6th.

ANY IDEAS? not even 8000 Miles on the puppy yet.

PLEASE dont say "take it in for warranty, cuz I voided the warranty by putting the FabTech 6" lift on it"...even though I know that I bent something in the tranny when I slammed the brakes on, and it has nothing to do with the lift kit, I know Toyota wont honour this problem.

Thanks in advance y'all

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,678 Posts
Miscellaneous 6-speed transmission problems have been reported on 2005+ Tacos - most commonly among the X-Runner contingent. Most of the reports have involved grinding, not getting stuck in a gear.

Kgrgunman reported a similar problem only a week or two ago:

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72891

This 'stuck in gear' issue seems to be the latest version of the 6-speed woes.

Some 2005+ owners have had free repairs done under warranty, and in some cases Toyota has quietly replaced the entire transmission....

... So - like it or not - the best advice is to take it in to the dealership.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,678 Posts
... And - as discussed in this thread:

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70004

... There'd been almost no 2005+ transmission woes reports involving 4th gear as of August 2006. The few that had been posted mentioned grinding and / or popping out of gear, not staying stuck in gear ... :thinking:

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Just because you have a lift on your truck, does not mean that they will not honor a transmission issue. It pretty obvious that the lift did not cause the problem (although I doubt that slamming on the brakes caused it). You are left with two options: either you take in to the dealer and try to get it fixed under warranty, or pay someone else to overhaul your transmission. There is no simple fix here.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
the fabtech lift will not void the warranty on the tranny....maybe the service manager can complain about if it was incorrectly installed but not likely since i have seen one taco that had a dealer installed fabtech lift on it....

just take it to them and explain whats going on with it...they start about the lift.........starting citing this...

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm#intro

bottom line...it's a problem with the trannys and they have to fix it..although..xrobber stated that he changed out the factory gear lube and installed red line (maybe it was amsoil) and his tranny shifts totally different (better of course)..

edited...changed factory to dealer

·
FOUND!
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome information guys, thanks a lot....I feel much better about taking it to the dealership now. I will let you know what they say.:bow::bow:

·
FOUND!
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got the truck back. A brand new tranny costs $5600 apparently. My dealership is awesome, they covered the cost for me. We found something interesting....the URD short shifter that I installed was missing one of the set screws that holds the piece onto the ball part of the shifter shaft. I think that if it was rattling around in the tranny, that is what screwed it up. I'm not sure if the instructions for the URD short shifter said to use lock tite or whatever...(I didn't use any on those set screws but I should have known better). I would like to tell anyone that is using the URD short shifter to at least CHECK the set screws that I'm talking about because maybe their dealership won't be as cool as mine...my dealership told me that they didn't tell Toyota Canada anything about the short shifter, they just got it approved and had the truck back to me the day after I took it in there. I owe the service writer and the head tech that worked on it a gift certificate to the beer store or something for that. Damn. I'm just glad it wasn't a result of the FabTech lift kit or something...(and Im really glad that I didnt have to fork over $5600 for a new tranny).

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
That takes balls man

If I were to go in to get it covered under warranty, I would of taken the short shifter out first.

That's awesome, glad to hear of a good dealer!

·
FOUND!
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oops. ;)

:doah:

·
Registered
248 Posts
LIAR! Any man who says his dealership took care of him is a LIAR! You friggin' lucky bastard. Good for you though!:waytogo:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts