Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
2005+: Short Shifters: Comparison: TRD vs. UR

... one more question as far as the URD SS is concerned - how does it compare to trd short throw???? and how legit is URD....id never heard of them prior to owning an X .........i was a nismo man (300zx first car) but long live toyos

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
2005+: Short Shifters: Comparison: TRD vs. UR

XrunnurX said:
... one more question as far as the URD SS is concerned - how does it compare to trd short throw???? and how legit is URD....id never heard of them prior to owning an X .........i was a nismo man (300zx first car) but long live toyos
The URD ss shortens the stock throw by 44% and the TRD ss only shortens the throw by 34% but they give you a whole new shifter arm. Most people on here have the URD because we know the company makes A+ products. Ask anyone on here if you don't believe me:waytogo: .

·
Registered
19 Posts
XRobber said:
Please dont take this the wrong way.. I LOVE URD's ss, and I wouldnt change it for the world....
Now...
I have been using B&M products for a LONG time... I am a major fan of thier products.
I would be real interested in hearing how this kit works out for someone.
What are some pros and cons about TRD SS??? I am trying to choose between URD and TRD SS.

·
www.LiquidAss.com
3,345 Posts
Gadget said:
The last issue was the transmission of vibration from the transmission into the cab of the vehicle. The solid shaft has no vibration or noise dampening. Just ask the guys with the 2.4 5 speed trannies that have the B&M. Those have the worst problem with the noise and vibration.

When we worked on the URD design those were all problems I did not want in our shifter and we have eliminated every one of them.

Gadget

I had the URD kit and know what it shifts like.
I now have the TRD assembly for a few reasons.

The vibrations you speak of w/o the rubber... well, the rubber actually amplified the vibrations. The solid shaft of the TRD vibrates less, and there is no increase in noise. (I am trying to think of the kids toy that acts in the same way... I think it had something to do with throwing farther, kind of like in one of the Nerds movies)
That rubber actually wears out quicker with the SS'er on since the leverage is reduced, there is more force needed to shift. More force = not good for rubber which will deform. When the rubber flexes under the increased pressure, the shift will become long again since the shaft is still the same stock unit.
Plus, you can't really mess up the installation of the TRD unit.

You're more than welcome to try mine out at TacOberFest and you can see the difference. I would not have bought the TRD when I had the URD kit unless there was a decent explanation so I could justify the price.

(I don't know what the guys with the 2.4 5 speed trannies that have the B&M vibrations are like, but it's less with a solid shaft in our trucks)

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts
The TRD shifter arm uses the exact same rubber isolating mount betwen teh two sections as the stock arm. To say that it is different then stock or has different service life is a far reach.

I am pleased to hear that the TRD shifer is working out well for you and that you are enjoying it.

You should be thankful that TRD was able to bring their price way down after seeing the URD design. The original design they intetended to market used a completely new cast shifter tower that was expensive. After seen ours, yes ours was out first, the decided to drop the casted replacement tower in favor of the simple to produce spacer plate like we were using. That dropped the cost from near $400 to what they are able to sell if for now. How do I know this? The head of TRD put the prototype in my hands to look over.

Gadget

·
www.LiquidAss.com
3,345 Posts
Gadget said:
The TRD shifter arm uses the exact same rubber isolating mount betwen teh two sections as the stock arm. To say that it is different then stock or has different service life is a far reach.

I am pleased to hear that the TRD shifer is working out well for you and that you are enjoying it.

You should be thankful that TRD was able to bring their price way down after seeing the URD design. The original design they intetended to market used a completely new cast shifter tower that was expensive. After seen ours, yes ours was out first, the decided to drop the casted replacement tower in favor of the simple to produce spacer plate like we were using. That dropped the cost from near $400 to what they are able to sell if for now. How do I know this? The head of TRD put the prototype in my hands to look over.

Gadget

I inspected the TRD unit, and it does not have rubber in there.
Can it be possible thee are two different units?
maybe that's what the 2WD and 4WD specification is? I don't know... but I don't have rubber in my TRD shaft.

I'll even take it out and let you inspect it, but I guess that won't happen.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
BRB GTG PP said:
maybe that's what the 2WD and 4WD specification is? I don't know... but I don't have rubber in my TRD shaft.

The TRD does not have rubber in there. mine is a solid part from end to end. I have no vibration problems. Ask Brian, he drove it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Gadget said:

Gadget
My TRD short shifter was a completely new casting that had a longer shift ball, a spacer plate, and rubber isolation like the stock unit. I bought mine Jan of 05 for about $175
I think that the new SS comes with a replacement leather TRD shift knob for about $315

·
Tacorpulent HP
2,306 Posts
BRB GTG PP said:
I don't know... but I don't have rubber in my TURD shaft.

gadget, he wants you to inspect his TuRD shaft....that's an offer that cannot be refused! :lol::nana:

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts
BRB GTG PP said:

The shaft is two parts bonded together with the very same rubber and it is made by the very same company the very same way as the stock one to TRD's specifications. I don't understand how yours is so different from the rest of them, but I guess anything is possible. Thanks for setting me straight.

Oh, I can't wait to inspect your shaft in person.

Gadget

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Gadget said:
The shaft is two parts bonded together with the very same rubber and it is made by the very same company the very same way as the stock one to TRD's specifications. I don't understand how yours is so different from the rest of them, but I guess anything is possible. Thanks for setting me straight.

Oh, I can't wait to inspect your shaft in person.

Gadget
They could have made a production change.

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts
Yep I am sure they have....

But, based on the pictures he had posted perviously, it is the same thing as the prototype I looked over.

Anyway, what is the point?

He feels that the TRD one is WAY better then the URD one and that is that.

Gadget

·
Registered
136 Posts
Gadget said:

But, based on the pictures he had posted perviously, it is the same thing as the prototype I looked over.

Gadget
I have the URD and am very happy with it:waytogo:

Keep making parts for my X-Runner!:D

·
www.LiquidAss.com
3,345 Posts
A little debate is always healthy. Makes people think.

TahoesHateMe said:
The TRD does not have rubber in there. mine is a solid part from end to end. I have no vibration problems. Ask Brian, he drove it.
Same what I am saying... I went over mine very well looking for it, and saw nothing. Not even a hint.

5000XD said:
Here we go again.
Sure... because there is some false info that people are buying into.
I just wanted to set the record straight.
The rubber amplified the vibrations in my truck.
There is no rubber in the TRD unit.

Gadget said:

Gadget

Just pointing out a fact like I just stated.
Sure, URD is great since they saw a huge market in aftermarket for Toyota products and they have a very good marketing tactic, but when something is better, and someone speaks about it, they instantly get grief about it.
I too bought into the hype with the URD kit.

Now... I had the tURD and I have the TuRD now... I saw what made it feel so damn solid after I drove a truck (5Spd) with the TRD.
Some say there is rubber and some say there is not. There must be two different styles out there.
One way you can tell... with the stock shifter... I could take it from neutral and push it over between 5th and 6th gears, then give it a little more force, and it would move more from the flex of the rubber... Now there is not even a millimeter of extra flex.

And just for comparison... it took me 22 minutes to install the TuRD assembly with caution. That is from opening the box in the truck... glancing at the directions... inspecting for the rubber that some swear is in there, scraping off the old gasket till I put the cup holder back in place. URD was almost one hour since I had to check and recheck since I was a little paranoid about something dropping into the trans.
There are no set screws to stake and possibly just around one hour
back out... it's basically a fool proof install AND you don't have to swap it in and out for warranty work or worry about something dropping into the trans. That time right there is more than worth it for some.
The only thing I did not like was the higher price and they could have included the gasket sealant in their kit to make it complete.

If URD was to make an exact replica of the unit, how much would it cost:thinking: ?

"Another problem with the other designs is an unnecessary complex installation requiring grinding and disassembly of the shifter pivot ball (while fighting a stiff spring in the process). URD's 2005-2006 Tacoma short shifter is very simple to install."

There is NO grinding, there is NO needed for a chassis punch either... the chassis punch was only needed for 4WD and Prerunner models, and that can be avoided too if you have a 6"+ extension for the socket.

A wise man once said:
"Feel free to buy whatever lesser product you wish!!!"

I'll be there around 2-3 PM Saturday, and will be departing early.
I do have some doubts about some that are blinded by the hype. Get to know me in person before passing judgements. See ya there:waytogo: .

·
StepSIde
3,295 Posts
BRB GTG PP said:
A little debate is always healthy. Makes people think.

Same what I am saying... I went over mine very well looking for it, and saw nothing. Not even a hint.

Sure... because there is some false info that people are buying into.
I just wanted to set the record straight.
The rubber amplified the vibrations in my truck.
There is no rubber in the TRD unit.

Just pointing out a fact like I just stated.
Sure, URD is great since they saw a huge market in aftermarket for Toyota products and they have a very good marketing tactic, but when something is better, and someone speaks about it, they instantly get grief about it.
I too bought into the hype with the URD kit.

Now... I had the tURD and I have the TuRD now... I saw what made it feel so damn solid after I drove a truck (5Spd) with the TRD.
Some say there is rubber and some say there is not. There must be two different styles out there.
One way you can tell... with the stock shifter... I could take it from neutral and push it over between 5th and 6th gears, then give it a little more force, and it would move more from the flex of the rubber... Now there is not even a millimeter of extra flex.

And just for comparison... it took me 22 minutes to install the TuRD assembly with caution. That is from opening the box in the truck... glancing at the directions... inspecting for the rubber that some swear is in there, scraping off the old gasket till I put the cup holder back in place. URD was almost one hour since I had to check and recheck since I was a little paranoid about something dropping into the trans.
There are no set screws to stake and possibly just around one hour
back out... it's basically a fool proof install AND you don't have to swap it in and out for warranty work or worry about something dropping into the trans. That time right there is more than worth it for some.
The only thing I did not like was the higher price and they could have included the gasket sealant in their kit to make it complete.

If URD was to make an exact replica of the unit, how much would it cost:thinking: ?

"Another problem with the other designs is an unnecessary complex installation requiring grinding and disassembly of the shifter pivot ball (while fighting a stiff spring in the process). URD's 2005-2006 Tacoma short shifter is very simple to install."

There is NO grinding, there is NO needed for a chassis punch either... the chassis punch was only needed for 4WD and Prerunner models, and that can be avoided too if you have a 6"+ extension for the socket.

A wise man once said:
"Feel free to buy whatever lesser product you wish!!!"

I'll be there around 2-3 PM Saturday, and will be departing early.
I do have some doubts about some that are blinded by the hype. Get to know me in person before passing judgements. See ya there:waytogo: .
Well said!:waytogo: Love the comparsion nad staing the facts.

Morcheez has the URD and I have the TRD. The other day when we did the headlight mod we compared the 2. I think we both found that my shifter had less slack in it. Althought mine was a little harder than his. The TRD felt like it had notches to engage each gear.The URD worked with a little smother operation but definetly not as short of a throw as the TRD.

Wonder what the B&M is gonna feel like.:thinking: I've always heard they make great products, but we shall see.:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts