Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tacorpulent HP
2,306 Posts
very interesting, notice the angle of the shifter, looks like the knob would be much closer to the driver than stock...i can already see that getting in the way of my big gulp...

·
Registered
229 Posts
2005+: Short Shifter: B&M

Well B&M has a better reputation, but you guys are right, it seems URD's desing is a bit superior, as far as placement while shifting........I'll take one of each, if you want to send me one, just PM me.:eek:

·
Registered
536 Posts

Xacto said:
$60 more? :shrug:
$60 more for an inferior design (for this truck) is a LOT

while B&M has a great reputation for drag cars, it sucks for everyday driving (judging from my friends 98 integra with B&M short shift kit)

i know that the URD is only a spacer plate and extender, but it's still using the original design while making an improvement.

·
Registered
11,619 Posts

The only problem with the URD kit is that it might take you a little longer to isntall, and if installed incorrectly, the set screws end up in the transmission.

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts

I had a B&M shifter in my 4Runner.

It worked OK, but I did have some issues with it.

First the spacer plate has a big hunk of material machied out of it to hold a bracket or something. This prevented a proper seal between the shifter spacer plate and the shifter tower. It allowed oil to leak from the tranny and other stuff to get in. It also prevented you from properly tightening the bolts on the driver's side and they would come loose. It seems that they used that same spacer plate for a Jeep application that needed that part machined away for a bracket or something. I doubt that issue would apply to the new 6 speed, but I was very disapointed that I had to fabricate a fix for that problem.

Next, the B&M uses set screws to attach the pivot ball to the shaft. If you did not install those set screws just right they would back out and come loose. You could not stake them since the screws were deep inside the ball. When they came loose the shaft would rotate in the ball and make it impossible to shift gears.

Next, was the overly complicated installation. There is a lot more you have to take apart to install it and you had to grind the retainer cup lip off so you could remove it from the stock shifter. Then you had to work the pivot ball spring into place and the hardest part was installing the spring retainer against the spring pressure and the rotate it to its locking position. This seemed to take 3 and half hands and most people only have two.

The last issue was the transmission of vibration from the transmission into the cab of the vehicle. The solid shaft has no vibration or noise dampening. Just ask the guys with the 2.4 5 speed trannies that have the B&M. Those have the worst problem with the noise and vibration.

When we worked on the URD design those were all problems I did not want in our shifter and we have eliminated every one of them.

Gadget

·
Registered
425 Posts

so.. is anyone getting this b&m shifter? my friend has a b&m on his is300, and it seems pretty sweet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts