Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of anywhere I might find a guide to removing the door panels in my 2004 Tacoma D-cab? Or does anyone have any personal experience in doing this? I'm wanting to replace my factory speakers this weekend with some components but I want a plan of attack before I start taking things apart. I have power windows/locks, and mirrors so I'm hoping its not too difficult. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
424 Posts
you can pop out the power lock/window panel extremely easy. i can do it in less than a second. it slides forward and up.

There are only 3 screws hodling the door on

2 in the big handle, and 1 in the door handle latch.

remove door handle latch, unscrew, pull forward, slip off the plastic clip

take out the two big long screws from the stationary door handle

then the door has little plastic clips at the edges

pull STRAIGHT with fingers to each side of each clip. takes a bit of force, but they come right out.

buy some spares. youll break a few your first time if you arent careful.

You can get 6.5"s with a mounting depth of 3 inches max if you are persistent and slightly creative.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Believe it or not I took pictures tonight on how to remove the door panel for people. I see it asked a lot so.. I took pics. Let me know if you want me to email them to you. I will try to get it written tonight. I also plan on moving the window rail back and will take pics of that also. I just need to go to Home Depot and get a longer bolt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was wondering if you may be able to e-mail me those door panel removal pictures. I am thinking of doing some work inside the door. I would like too install power locks, but would like to see what it looks like inside before I jump in. My e-mail is [email protected] . Thanks

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
Is this guide still around?
No ... The server previously cited as hosting it has disappeared, and it's not archived / retrievable using the Wayback Machine.

Here (attached; PDF) are the factory door components diagrams and disassembly procedures for the 2001 - 2004 generation... :waytogo:

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
My drivers door lock is locked and won't open. My window has intermittent problems which is less concerning.
I took the truck to the Toyota dealer and they want over $2,000 to fix both and over $1,000 to fix the door lock.
Doing research I'm finding it should not be that difficult to remove the door panel. My only concern is the fact that I can't open the door and getting at the prongs that hold the door and getting the door to snap off.

Anybody know if this would be an issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you have power windows? I just took off my panels on my 2003 last spring to grease lock mechanisms that were starting to stick. This past month I took off both door trims to sound deaden.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts