Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is the tech article on making ur corner lights the blinkers, but i was wondering if there is any way to just keep ur blinkers in the stock location but make them be constant on too. so they 2 bumper blinkers would be on when your parking lights are on and then they would still blink with the blinkers? LIke could you change the socket down there or something. or is there anything else that anyone could think of?. i'm interested in having those ligts on the bumper constant on at all times. thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
you can do that but you have to be able to understand wiring and be able to set up a relay. If your interested pm me and I will walk you through it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so would i not have to change the bulbs or sockets? and it would make them stay on all the tim with parking lights then whatever blinker is on it will blink instead of staying constant on then after the blinker is off it will turn back to constant on?

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
the 01 to 04 style of trucks, people have done all sorts of things to mod the lighting.. But nobody can give any detailed information on how exactly to do it with a proper write up or decent pictures..

If nobody steps up with some good directions, I'd say look into an electrical shop..
Tell them what you want it to do and they can make it happen..

I've given up trying to understand whats what and nobody wants to take the time to enhance the site to write a decent "how to" faq on this..

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have done what you are talking about on a 1995 Tacoma. All you need to do is get 2 1157 sockets off of 98 or so Chevrolet tail light assembly. With a little bit of cutting on the plastic of the socket it will fit into the housing. This socket will have three wires coming off of it. Ground, wire for blink, wire for constant on. Connect the ground and wire for blink to the original wires. From there run a wire from the corner constant on wire to the last unconnected wire. Insert 1157 bulb and it works just fine. On the 95' it looks awesome. The Standard automotive part number for the socket is.....S65.:headbang:

·
more Ψ
2,682 Posts
The sockets are different on the 01 and up. You don't need sockets, you don't need relays.

You have an extra hole in the socket of your bumper light...look for it. There are three wire holes, you are only using two. The other is plugged with a rubber stopper. It has a dual filament bulb that you only use one filament on...the other is free.

Splice a wire off the corner light and run it to the extra hole in the bumper light and put some silicone sealant or weather stripping around it to keep the water out.

I've done this on my truck, radtcma, and Jeffs trucks.

Its not a "fog light" because its not bright enough, but it looks better IMO.

·
BOOSTED
2,069 Posts
yes just you can do they way like xtrapsi said but the way to do it is you change the socket inside the oem socket and turn it into a 1157 instead of 1156 you need to try and figure out on the socket which one is the brighter and which one is the dimmer light then just run a wire down from the corner light and just hook them up and that is acout it.

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
trdspectacoma said:
yes just you can do they way like xtrapsi said but the way to do it is you change the socket inside the oem socket and turn it into a 1157 instead of 1156 you need to try and figure out on the socket which one is the brighter and which one is the dimmer light then just run a wire down from the corner light and just hook them up and that is acout it.
but with that setup you'll have the dim light on at all times and then it uses the brighter one when you flash, everyone usually wants the opposite effect. brights on fulltime.. then it goes dim to flash..

At least I know I did..

·
Super Duper Tundraholic
10,196 Posts
I can help. I did it to my 2002 Tacoma. It was pretty simple. I've sent copies to other members on here. Only Chris D. doesn't understand my instructions. ;)

·
Super Duper Tundraholic
10,196 Posts
Here's a pic of it...

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,720 Posts
mazutoytaco said:
I can help. I did it to my 2002 Tacoma. It was pretty simple. I've sent copies to other members on here. Only Chris D. doesn't understand my instructions. ;)
I wasn't the only one that didn't understand it... :waytogo:
Mr "I'll make a FAQ and take pictures, but I'm too lazy" :lol:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I did a similar mod on my 99 Runner. I wanted the lower turn sig to be a 2nd park light. I used the stock 194 socket from my old corners. I drilled a hole into the turn sig housing, and used a file to make the 'twist/lock notches. I soldered wires into the socket and just tied it in with the corner park lights. I used Piaa hyper whites to match. I used a clear bulb for the turn sig, looks kinda dull compared to the Piaas, but at least it looked like a turn sig when used.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hey Mazu...how was that earthquake? Mean eh? Hope you guys OK ova dea...woke me outta one deep sleep. My wife thought dat N Korean guy wen drop da bomb!:runaway:

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you wanna do that way, a part of the 194 socket needs to be cut away to expose the prongs to solder. After that, I used heat shrink and filled the socket with hot glue to seal it off.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't know how to do that...the downside is even on 'bright' it still will be a stock type bulb and will look dull if you have hyper white corner bulbs or headlights.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts