Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
hello, I just joined up, nbro3232 was nice enough to post this question for me so I didn't have to sign up here but then after thinking on it, I decided to just join the site to simplify things.

as the title says, I need help finding the wiring harness diagram for the drivers door part number 82152-04140 and also the passenger side door wiring harness part number 82151-04160

the wiring diagrams I found so far in the FSM only show the ECM wiring but things get fuzzy and unclear about the rest of the doors wiring and the color coding I see doesn't seam to match (blue and white wire is shown as "L-W") and I need to know what gets power and what gets grounded.

im trying to wire up my doors for all power from being all manual, so I have no truck wiring or ECM involved so I need a "real" wiring diagram to be able to trace my wires.

what I am looking for is a color coded wiring diagram from the door components to switches then to the plug that goes to dash wiring, not interested in the dash wiring at all because that is what I am recreating with a new wiring bundle I will be making.

im looking for more then just the power window switch diagram, im needing the whole door wiring harness diagram (power windows, power locks, and power mirrors too) so I can see where to run all the wires to and which ones get power or grounds.

there are two plugs at the door with around 18 wires in them that I need to hook up correctly. while I "assume" most just cross over from one door to the other, there are some that don't match color codes and I don't know where they should go. im sure some are the things like door chimes and button illumination wires, I don't want to be guessing.

I should further clarify that I am used to working with electricity but schematics are not my strong suit and my eyes are not that good which makes it even worse.

I have purchased all original oem parts and wiring harness for the doors so this is 100% Toyota original equipt and nothing is mismatched or "rigged". all parts came from an 04 ext cab Tacoma with all power and are going into an 04 ext cab Tacoma that had no power anything. basically I bought the entire guts out of both doors minus the window and door shell itself, to do this conversion. the 4 dash harness plugs I got that plug into the door wiring harness are from an 02 Tacoma but every wire on these plugs is an exact color code and size match so I am 100% sure they are the correct ones to use and I also bought 16 gauge wire and 18 gauge wire in several separate colors so no color is used more then once anywhere to use to make my wiring harness with.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
(1) Welcome to CT, keakar! :waytogo:

(2) First thing is to get familiar with the symbology used on the Toyota factory wiring diagrams. For example, 'L' means light blue, so the 'L-W' you mentioned is correct as is. Here (attached) is a reference doc on the 2004 wiring diagrams.

(3) There are no factory documents or diagrams showing details for the physical layout of the wiring within the doors.

(4) I'm not certain whether you need to swap out the Integration Relay / Body ECU to handle the powered stuff. There were different Integration Relays listed for manual versus powered window applications.

(5) You mentioned you had all the 'guts' from 2004 doors with powered accessories. Did you also get the door panels configured to accept the switches?

Attachments

Reactions: terrapin_ld

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
Here (attached) are the 2004 factory wiring diagrams for power locks, power windows, and the remote control power mirrors (power window version).

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
(1) Welcome to CT, keakar! :waytogo:

(2) First thing is to get familiar with the symbology used on the Toyota factory wiring diagrams. For example, 'L' means light blue, so the 'L-W' you mentioned is correct as is. Here (attached) is a reference doc on the 2004 wiring diagrams.

(3) There are no factory documents or diagrams showing details for the physical layout of the wiring within the doors.

(4) I'm not certain whether you need to swap out the Integration Relay / Body ECU to handle the powered stuff. There were different Integration Relays listed for manual versus powered window applications.

(5) You mentioned you had all the 'guts' from 2004 doors with powered accessories. Did you also get the door panels configured to accept the switches?
thanks, I hear you are the go to expert on these things

I "assumed" the wiring diagrams show "L" as meaning light blue but I have no light blue wires, they are all dark navy blue only but that one was an easy adjustment, it just troubled me what else want quite accurate on the colors.

as to the door panels, yes I got the powered door panels with switches as well as the door wiring harness for both

my problem is, on the drivers side I have a large plug with 11 wires and a small plug with 6 wires, then on the passenger side I have a large plug with 11 wires and a small plug with 5 wires.

on the large plugs only 9 of the colored wires match up with the other side and on the small plugs only 3 of the colored wires match up with the other side. now on the small plugs I know two of those wires are the door speakers so I can see those colors might be different but the rest I cant explain or figure out.

I am not connecting to the truck wiring at all here, I have the dash harness plugs with pig tails that someone cut off of a donor truck for me so im using those to make my own wiring harness for power and to connect the passenger door to the drivers door.

on bench testing I can get the drivers window working by putting ground to large white wire with black stripe and power to the large dark navy blue wire with red stripe but this keeps the door switch illuminated all the time so im not sure if that is correct? shouldn't the switch illumination light only be on when the truck lights are on?

also, while leaving the ground hooked to white/black stripe and connecting power to the small red wire on the small plug, I can get the power mirror to actuate, but in only in two out of four directions. the power door locks I have not been able to get to do anything at all.

also, I am only using factory original oem everything so nothing should be inaccurate with the wiring diagram colors which is strange ???

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, I hear you are the go to expert on these things

I "assumed" the wiring diagrams show "L" as meaning light blue but I have no light blue wires, they are all dark navy blue only but that one was an easy adjustment, it just troubled me what else want quite accurate on the colors.

as to the door panels, yes I got the powered door panels with switches as well as the door wiring harness for both

my problem is, on the drivers side I have a large plug with 11 wires and a small plug with 6 wires, then on the passenger side I have a large plug with 11 wires and a small plug with 5 wires.

on the large plugs only 9 of the colored wires match up with the other side and on the small plugs only 3 of the colored wires match up with the other side. now on the small plugs I know two of those wires are the door speakers so I can see those colors might be different but the rest I cant explain or figure out.

I am not connecting to the truck wiring at all here, I have the dash harness plugs with pig tails that someone cut off of a donor truck for me so im using those to make my own wiring harness for power and to connect the passenger door to the drivers door.

on bench testing I can get the drivers window working by putting ground to large white wire with black stripe and power to the large dark navy blue wire with red stripe but this keeps the door switch illuminated all the time so im not sure if that is correct? shouldn't the switch illumination light only be on when the truck lights are on?

also, while leaving the ground hooked to white/black stripe and connecting power to the small red wire on the small plug, I can get the power mirror to actuate, but in only in two out of four directions. the power door locks I have not been able to get to do anything at all.

also, I am only using factory original oem everything so nothing should be inaccurate with the wiring diagram colors which is strange ???
There are slight variations in the wiring colors from year to year. "Usually" these are pretty obvious, like you discovered with the dark blue in place of the light blue. I recently put auto up/down windows from a 4runner in my 99 and just used process of elimination to determine what is what. Almost every W-B wire will be ground.

If you look at the harnesses that plug into the switches for the master window and the mirror (not the main harness for the door), you should be able to figure out what goes to what using the wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
40 Posts
here is a plug wire color chart for you: (all large wires are 16 gauge and all small wires look to be 20 gauge speaker type wires)

drivers side plug connections

large plug:
large white wire black stripe (-12v main ground wire)
large red wire blue stripe
large navy blue wire white stripe
large red wire black stripe
large navy blue wire red stripe (+12v powers window motors and illuminates the switch lights)
large navy blue wire
small green wire black stripe
small red wire yellow stripe
small black wire
small grey wire

small plug:
small green wire red stripe
small red wire (+12v powers the mirror in only two directions)
small navy blue wire red stripe
small pink wire (confirmed as a speaker wire by matching to original truck wiring)
small purple wire (confirmed as a speaker wire by matching to original truck wiring)

passengers side plug connections

large plug:
large navy blue wire red stripe
large navy blue wire
small blue wire red stripe
small white wire black strip
small black wire
small grey wire
small purple wire

small plug:
small red wire
small navy blue wire (confirmed as a speaker wire by matching to original truck wiring)
small green wire (confirmed as a speaker wire by matching to original truck wiring)

I don't know the drivers side speaker wires yet because I haven't pulled the drivers kick panel yet as I was waiting until I knew I could make everything "function" before taking my door apart

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here is a plug wire color chart for you:

drivers side plug connections

large plug:
large white wire black stripe (-12v main ground wire)
large navy blue wire red stripe (+12v powers window motors and illuminates the switch lights)
large navy blue wire
small black wire
small grey wire

small plug:
small pink wire
small red wire (+12v powers the mirror in only two directions)
small navy blue wire red stripe
small purple wire

passengers side plug connections

large plug:
large navy blue wire red stripe
large navy blue wire
small blue wire red stripe
small white wire black strip
small black wire
small grey wire
small purple wire

small plug:
small red wire
small navy blue wire (confirmed as a speaker wire by matching to original truck wiring)
small green wire (confirmed as a speaker wire by matching to original truck wiring)

I don't know the drivers side speaker wires yet because I haven't pulled the drivers kick panel yet as I was waiting until I knew I could make everything "function" before taking my door apart
Is the the end that goes into the truck? What about the wires at the window switch and mirror switch for driver side, or window switch and lock switch on passenger?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is the the end that goes into the truck? What about the wires at the window switch and mirror switch for driver side, or window switch and lock switch on passenger?
those are listing the plugs pig tail ends in the kick panel that I need to hook up

I cant make heads or tails of the switches, the FSM wiring diagram shows a few wires but there are twice as many wires there then the diagram shows.

the mirror has a red, black, and brown wire
the window motor has a green and a red wire
the door lock actuator has 7 wires - blue with red stripe / white with red stripe / black with red stripe / orange / black / red / green

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is rather confusing looking at multiple wiring diagrams and your wires.

I would just take some time a study the ones that Enola posted and match them to what your actual wires are. If it helps, put some tape on each wire so it's easier to remember. I would start at the switch end.

Anything that goes back to the body ECU is what you need to wire into the truck. Each one of these locations is labeled with letters and numbers in the diagram with a description of where it is at the end. The only wire that appears to go back to the body ECU from the window circuit is the L-R for power.

The door locks appear to get more complicated. In the lock circuit you have L-B, GR, B-L, R-Y, V, G-B, L, L-W, LG-R, G, and G-W going to the ECU. Y-G is for double cab.

The only wire from the mirror circuit to anything other than the mirrors is the L-O wire.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
Does this truck have a Toyota TVIP security / alarm system installed? Or any aftermarket alarm system?

Does this truck have the VSC / TRAC (traction control / aiding) option?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does this truck have a Toyota TVIP security / alarm system installed? Or any aftermarket alarm system?

Does this truck have the VSC / TRAC (traction control / aiding) option?
no, it has no alarm at all and it does not have the vsc

if it helps, the vin number is 5TESN92NX4Z405036

·
Registered
40 Posts
It is rather confusing looking at multiple wiring diagrams and your wires.

I would just take some time a study the ones that Enola posted and match them to what your actual wires are. If it helps, put some tape on each wire so it's easier to remember. I would start at the switch end.

Anything that goes back to the body ECU is what you need to wire into the truck. Each one of these locations is labeled with letters and numbers in the diagram with a description of where it is at the end. The only wire that appears to go back to the body ECU from the window circuit is the L-R for power.

The door locks appear to get more complicated. In the lock circuit you have L-B, GR, B-L, R-Y, V, G-B, L, L-W, LG-R, G, and G-W going to the ECU. Y-G is for double cab.

The only wire from the mirror circuit to anything other than the mirrors is the L-O wire.

I have no plans to wire "anything" to the truck and especially not to the ECM unless the wires are already there to do so, my intention is to hook this up as its own isolated system without tapping into any of the existing truck wires except for power.

as for the mirror, there is no L-O (blue with orange stripe) wire on my wire harness

I did confirm for the drivers side the purple and pink wires on the small plug is for the speakers, I went back and updated the colored wiring list accordingly

on the passenger side and drivers side there are no wires at all, all it has there from the truck are the two speaker wires and that's it. there is nothing there to connect anything else to except for speaker wires.

now there is a spare plug on each side kick panel but they are not the same size or shape of plugs as the door harness. not sure what they could be for but I assumed the one on passenger side was the plug that used to be used for cruise control ECM. I will upload pictures of them later.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
I've sent you the all-in-one 2004 overall wiring diagram and associated instructions. The overall diagram is harder to use for reference, but you may need it to see how the different circuits interconnect.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
Don't worry about the wires marked 'L' on the diagrams. In earlier years, the L indicated a light blue. Over the years the color codes mutated somewhat. By 2004 they were using 'L' to mean basic blue.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
The L-O wire is the power line for the remote control mirrors. It should lead back to the 15A ACC fuse via a connection behind the center dash. You might have to run a dedicated line for this purpose.

·
Registered
40 Posts
now there is a spare plug on each side kick panel but they are not the same size or shape of plugs as the door harness. not sure what they could be for but I assumed the one on passenger side was the plug that used to be used for cruise control ECM. I will upload pictures of them later.

this plug is a 10 pin plug, I don't know why these plugs are there but there is one on each side under the kick panel that is unused.

I will get the colors of the wires in the 10 pin plugs if you want, just let me know

the unused ten pin plugs I found in the kick panels can be seen below

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
The L-O wire is the power line for the remote control mirrors. It should lead back to the 15A ACC fuse via a connection behind the center dash. You might have to run a dedicated line for this purpose.
thanks, but which color does it tie into on the door wiring harness? thats what I cant figure out because none of the colors match the plugs and I have no orange wires on the plugs.

its going to take me a while to figure this out because with my bad eyes and poor schematic reading skills it will take me a few days to make heads or tails of the diagrams once I find the right ones, but at least I have something to go by now.

heck I couldn't even figure out I could post pictures directly until just now lol. most sites only let you post pictures through links

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
I've modified your post count to 15, so you can post photos now. :waytogo:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks, but which color does it tie into on the door wiring harness? thats what I cant figure out because none of the colors match the plugs and I have no orange wires on the plugs.

its going to take me a while to figure this out because with my bad eyes and poor schematic reading skills it will take me a few days to make heads or tails of the diagrams once I find the right ones, but at least I have something to go by now.

heck I couldn't even figure out I could post pictures directly until just now lol. most sites only let you post pictures through links
L-O on the 2004 diagram is pin 8 on the mirror connector (that's what that little number is where it goes to the switch on the diagram). This could easily be a different color if you don't have a harness from a 2004.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts