Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So NOW I have to deal with the exhaust on my Tacoma:

There's a hole somewhere up on the "first" catalytic converter by the exhaust header [manifold] which causes it to make an awful sound. But can't find any visual holes, so I'm guessing its under the "shield".... now throwing "CEL" on O2 sensor again.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to replace the entire exhaust myself while doing it in my drive-way.... I want true-fit kits where I can get it done in a day.... w/ hand-tools & tube of anti-seize especially since its cold outside too....
Again, tried searching here & googling it; so I'm posting this question...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALSO- since the flanges & bolts between exhaust/2nd Catalytic/1st Catalytic are also rotted. Means the bolts will either snap-apart or have to grab an electric saw....
Its not worth the cost to install new flanges so everything goes-

I'm looking at going with MagnaFlow for the 1st & 2nd catalytic converters sections, aFe Catback, and possibly Doug Thorley Header.

Magnaflow site- http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic_converters/02product/shopdisplayproducts.asp

I'm in a non-emissions state so guessing these would be fine:

#23758 [1st/front] & #23757 [2nd/rear]

But there's no details indicating if the pipe section quality is the same as the "California" Version- any thoughts? I want to install a true stainless-steel for the quality & to last....

BUT on the aFe Performance exhaust, they do not list a "standard-cab/standard-bed" option.
Guessing I have to cut the front pipe section down to length; Is this true?

The only option I found made for a standard-cab/short-bed Tacoma [That's true stainless-steel] exhaust is from Gibson [#618700]. Again looking for a true bolt-on kit with no cutting...

http://gibsonexhaust.com/vehicle-se...&year=2003&make=TOYOTA&model=TACOMA&liter=2.4

I looked @ Dynomax & Walker too- plain aluminum [No Stainless-steel]. I won't do PaceSetter, had tried their exhaust kits on another truck which was basically junk & got zero support from them on fitment issues.

If there are any "true" bolt-on/High-Quality stainless-steel kits out there [for the Tacoma]- Please post the manufacturer & their part#'s; plus your experience with it

Thanks!

:surprise

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I tried looking for a CA-Smog compliant Sticker or identifiable markings that state my Tacoma is CA or NY smog compliant:

Does anyone have pics where to find this information on my Tacoma? Or post an example off their's......

I don't see any indications under the hood or on the driver's side panel indicating it is. NOTHING on the MFG VIN sticker either.....

I'm about to buy a 49-State compliant CC [front & rear] from Magnaflow. But they said to double-check because IF my truck is CA or NY compliant I will DEFINITELY get a CEL light from their 49-State system....

·
Vendor
7,124 Posts
I can help you with DT and aFe stuff so keep URD in mind there.

One thing to be careful of is that the label STAINLESS STEEL can be misleading.

Most aftermarket companies use a cheap 409 grade of stainless in their systems. This will surface rust over time. aFe, JBA, Magnaflow, and so on makes their exhaust out of 409 and call it stainless steel.

URD uses a much better grade, 304 in our systems.

G

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

One thing to be careful of is that the label STAINLESS STEEL can be misleading.

Most aftermarket companies use a cheap 409 grade of stainless in their systems. This will surface rust over time. aFe, JBA, Magnaflow, and so on makes their exhaust out of 409 and call it stainless steel.

URD uses a much better grade, 304 in our systems.

G

I wanted to try one of your URD exhaust systems.... but........

According to the online catalog [URD site]:
It shows only an aFe Performance exhaust is available for my 2004 2.4L 4-cyl 2wd "Short-Bed", "Regular-Cab"

There is no URD exhaust kit for the 2.4L 4-cyl, Reg-Bed/Reg-Cab [2004]

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,742 Posts
I wanted to try one of your URD exhaust systems.... but........

According to the online catalog [URD site]:
It shows only an aFe Performance exhaust is available for my 2004 2.4L 4-cyl 2wd "Short-Bed", "Regular-Cab"

There is no URD exhaust kit for the 2.4L 4-cyl, Reg-Bed/Reg-Cab [2004]
If you were really interested, you would call em because errors happen on websites all the time..

Give em a shot..
:wink

·
ADMlNAHATER
8,742 Posts
Don't waste your money on a full catback when you already have the piping.

Just ditch the stock muffler with a magnaflow or something like that..

Go on youtube and type in Tacoma 2.4 exhaust and listen to sound clips to give you an idea of what your going after.

I'll warn ya, the cabs of these trucks cause a hell of a droning sound when opening up the exhaust.

If thats not an issue, continue on. :)

These was a guy on ebay that lets you make an offer on magnaflow mufflers and usually took your first offer or counter offered you with a decent deal vs jegs, summitracing, ect.

Search on here for "Ebay magnaflow guy"

You mite have to take some measurements and compare them to your stock muffler.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The OE catback muffler [& its piping] has already been replaced with a "midas-muffler special" which is not worth saving....

Besides, the 2-1/4" piping is too small; I want @ least a 2-1/2" exhaust all the way thru.... so the Tacoma "breaths" better....

...............................................................................................................................................

Oh, yeah, I've got a bulk-pack of Dynamat-Extreme sound-deadner sheets ready to be installed on the doors & floor panel when I "throw-in" a sound system [On the "back-burner" till the exhaust issue is resolved].

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

So I went with 49-state Magnaflow OE fit front & rear cats and a Gibson true stainless-steel exhaust

Part#:
Magnaflow Front Cat 23758
Magnaflow Rear Cat 23757
Gibson Cat-back 618700

I ordered the front Cat from Amazon and the other two from AutoAnything.
Amazon, you know, has price fluctuations [up & down] but a "flash" sale where it was $80 off the daily price.
AutoAnything, I saved a $100 by buying "now" from their motivated sales agent.....

I'm ordering a spare set of O2 sensors & will install after the exhaust system has been "burned-in" & all the debris has been blown out.

Visually, good quality materials & assembly-

Hope it goes in smoothly but I'm going to install new polyurethane hanger bushings; just trying to find the right size and shape......

So far, I spent $$$$ though..... I'll post pics of the current rotted exhaust & you will all agree it's out of necessity and not want....

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wow, I see a lot of "lookers"-

Guessing several are curious of the same dilemma or what I did:

So I finally gotta around to installing the replacement exhaust system. I also spent a week "soaking" the header bolts w/ "Liquid Penetrant"/PB-Blaster so that they wouldn't be too much trouble.....

I had to make a run to "LOWES" to find replacement nuts, bolts, washers & lock-washers, spending about $10 for all, 'cause according to the install instructions I was suppose to re-use the existing "stuff"; Yeah ok :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::

(2) M6-1.0 thread x 30mm length bolt w/ nuts [Grade 8]
(4) 7/16"-14 thread x 1-1/2" length w/nuts/washers/lock-washers [Grade 8]
(2) M8-1.25 thread nuts

The M6's were used to bolt-in place the rear O2 sensor on the Gibson exhaust front pipe section.
The 7/16"-14's were used to connect the front Magnaflow Cat to the rear Magnaflow Cat & front Gibson pipe sections. The M8-1.25 nuts are for the front O2 sensor mounting point which Magnaflow failed to provide....

Oh, the exhaust manifold-flange nut size is 14mm.... On mine two came off but the third, I ended up loosening the entire nut & stud as one [see pic]
.....................................................................................................

Yeah, as confirmed, the OE cat assembly flanges & bolts all were "rotted-out", just a quick grind with a pneumatic cut-off wheel & whacks with a 3-lb sledgehammer.

Come to find out- the front OE Cat assembly had split in half around the front section under the heat-shield covering.

..........................................................................................................

So no more "noisy" exhaust- its all quiet & mellow! I'm really surprised at how quiet the Gibson muffler is.... no more "CEL" in the dash!

But I'm still planning on installing dynamat audio insulation! Going to "ditch" that factory audio system.... but I'll post a different thread on that......:cool:

From this:

To this:

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, FAST-FORWARD to Summer 2021-

The Magnaflow Catalytic Converters are JUNK... barely got 40-60K miles out of them... tried calling Magnaflow out in "Cali"... the so-called "tech" on the phone was useless....

The rear "cat" internal-assembly broke-apart and rattled like "rocks-in-a-tin-can"... SO I bought replacement Magnaflow rear-section cat/pipe assembly... the price was up 50%!
Paid just under $300 the first time... now in '21 the second replacement, SAME PART #, is just at $500!!!

Unreal... Oh well... they got my $$ unfortunately.

Now, I believe the "front" Magnaflow cat/pipe assembly has gone bad!

How is it possible that these "cats" could go bad so fast?

The only thing is... and I'm guessing here>>>

It seems like traffic has been moving faster, I sorta have to "rev-it", meaning I leave it in each gear longer & don't shift into 5th until I'm going with the flow of traffic, so I can safely merge w/ traffic on the freeway.
Signs says 70 but seems like everyone is going 80+

So, because I do almost all-highway driving, could that be it? The exhaust going thru each "cat" [front & rear] can't take high-revs/high-flow engine-exhaust gases???

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,086 Posts
I doubt the highway driving (in and of itself) explains why you seem to be burning out the cat(s) relatively quickly.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are the only mods I have done... besides the entire exhaust system which included NEW Denso O2 sensors.

-Replaced the original spark plugs w/ NGK-IRIDIUM IX plugs... and just recently a second set installed... replacing the set I installed back in 2014.
-Volant Cold-Air Intake System
-93 Octane... SINCE 2014 when I took possession...
-STA-BIL Fuel-stabilizer or HEET Water-remover added to the "full" fuel tank during the summer months [This is my "winter-beater"] with occasional trips to keep the battery charged
-Optima Red-top battery
-Royal-Purple SYN fluids in both the axel & manual-transmission
-Extended "warm-ups" on the cold or frigid mornings...
-15K to 18K fuel-filter changes... based on mileage
-FULL SYN motor oil [Mobil-1/Pennzoil/Costco-SYN] w/ performance oil-filter
-NEW radiator/brake/clutch/power-steering fluids since the frame-recall procedure
-NEW Continental radiator hoses and drive-belts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I doubt the highway driving (in and of itself) explains why you seem to be burning out the cat(s) relatively quickly.
No you're right... let's just say I saved the junky section aka "broken" ceramic-stuff pipe...
So I took the "old" one [rear pipe/CAT section] and made it free-flowing... now my "Tacomie" is back to normal... abit rev-happy... a little stinky out da tailpipe and louder...
No more CEL and stuck with a BRAND-NEW Magnaflow JUNK....

Problem solved...

·
Registered
97 2.4l extra cab manual trans #🌮⏳
2,152 Posts
Sometimes there is a breaking in period on the cats. To set the matting that holds the core inplace.
When you hit up the In cab section holler. I just finished putting my 97 back together(basically everything but the dash and headliner, got full second layer of carpet padding and doors, under hood etc) and had my 05 stripped to nothing inside for the full Treatment

1 - 20 of 32 Posts