Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #101

I put some fat tires on the Taco today. 295/50R15 Maxxis Marauders front and rear. The front needed 1/4" spacers so the 15x10 3.625" backspace Mickey Thompson aluminum wheels would clear the brake caliper.

Reactions: ggsatori

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #102 (Edited)
I added fender extensions to the fender flares. These are made in USA Pacer Performance 52-198 Flexy Flares 1-3/4" x 25'. They cost $72.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I added an Addco #656 rear sway bar. It really helps traction when launching. Before the sway bar I was getting a whole lot of frame twist when launching hard. Now it stays level and just goes straight. At only $114 the Addco sway bar kit is a really good value. Around corners it is a lot more predictable also. The limited slip differential is a happier with both tires getting the same amount of weight.
20200309_205542.jpg

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
When I put in the Kelford cams and Supertech valve springs the Holset he351cw started showing sings that the exhaust side of the turbo was choking at higher rpm. I was having to add a whole lot of duty cycle to the electronic boost controller and I was noticing diminishing power gains above 26psi. I cranked the boost as high as 35psi but didn't get much more power.

I looked into other turbos but the obvious choice was to do the easy upgrade turbolabofamerica offers. Here is a link: HE351 Exhaust Housing Upgrade - Turbo Lab

It is a bolt on upgrade that makes the hot side of the turbo flow a whole lot more. The stock he351cw was an excellent turbo for the engine when it had stock cams but with the upgraded cams I can rev to 8k rpm so low rpm spool up isn't as much of a priority as high rpm power now.

It makes so much more power with this upgrade that the ACT clutch I have been using for 5 years had no chance holding it and wore out within a week. The new SPEC stage 3+ clutch is in now and at 200 miles of it's 500 mile break in period. I hope this new clutch can hold all the power I'm about to throw at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
I got a dragy a while back so I could do some tuning for 1/4 mile in the off season. Edgewater raceway is being repaved and won't be open for a while. Dragy uses GPS and is supposed to be very close to timed runs at the track. I did a dragy run in 4wd today and here are the results.
Screenshot_2020-05-01-18-17-18.png

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #107

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
Do you care to share your timing map for your new setup?
This table 1 is the 93 octane timing. Please note due to my compression being 10:1 my Megasquirt's boost controller reduces boost from 30psi on e85 to 18psi on 93 octane. I lose over 100whp if I pump in 93 octane. It's a flex fuel system that does this automatically. If you run this 93 octane timing map above 18psi it's probably too aggressive for even stock 9.5:1 compression. above 240kpa it should probably all be zeros on 93 but zeros screw up my flex fuel tune.

93 octane 3rz turbo timing table graph.jpg

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I'd post my Megasquirt currenttune.msq file but customtacos won't let me because it's not a supported file extension. If you want my .msq file pm me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Awesome thanks. You're more conservative than me, but I also have the 2rz. Question about your cams and valve springs. Did you need any special shims? Lce says you have to use shim under buckets for their stage 2 cams, but they are smaller than the kelford A cams. Does yours make power all the way up to 8000? When does the power finally drop off?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Awesome thanks. You're more conservative than me, but I also have the 2rz. Question about your cams and valve springs. Did you need any special shims? Lce says you have to use shim under buckets for their stage 2 cams, but they are smaller than the kelford A cams. Does yours make power all the way up to 8000? When does the power finally drop off?
I don't know why LCE says shim under buckets are necessary. It just isn't true. I asked the same question and got advice from a guy who is running Kelford B cams who is running standard buckets at 8k rpm. My A cams with stock unported 4 port head start dropping flow around 6k so I use the electronic boost control to add more boost above 6k to give it more top end. If I was using a manual boost controller peak power would probably be somewhere around 6k rpm. If you get A cams you will have to remove material from the head for the big intake cam lobes to clear. You might not have to do that for the smaller LCE stage 2 intake cam. Here is a recent virtual dyno graph of the current tune:
507whp 4-30-20.jpg

101 - 111 of 111 Posts