Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally made it to the dragstrip today. I didn't blow anything up so I'd call it a success. My times weren't phenomenal but pretty close to expected. 14.533 @ 93.75 mph. My 2.159 60' wasn't good but was a smooth launch with a pretty good chirp from the front left and right rear tire. I revved to 4500 and let out the clutch quickly. I didn't use the 2 step today I'll save that for later it needs more tuning to work well. When I ran those times through a drag time to horsepower calculator it comes out to about 240hp. I need to get the boost back up to 12 psi and run more timing with a better launch next time.

More details are in my build thread here: http://www.customtacos.com/forum/94-build-threads/163041-2002-tacoma-3rz-turbo-build-7.html

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,681 Posts
Not bad for an initial run at an early stage of development / tuning ... :waytogo:

Reactions: kurt4726

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey I just noticed you put your Tacoma on dragtimes a few minutes ago. Pretty good times and the truck is looking good with those Michelins! I wish they would have let me put my truck in the 1/4 mile section but my track is only 1000 feet and they would not let me use an estimated quarter-mile time so mines in 1/8th mile.

Reactions: kurt4726

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks! I worked on the tune a lot this week. Boost is up to 13psi all the way to redline now and I added two degrees of timing. It should run better next time I'm at the track. I was surprised how much tire spin I was getting in 4wd. I was launching at 4500 rpm. I did a burnout then shifted to 4wd. My rear tires have about zero traction. My right rear spins first. I have a shim clamped between the overload and spring on the right rear to try to put more weight on that tire. It helped some but all my launches were over 2.00 60 ft. I'm going to have to air the tires down also. They were at 26 psi. What tire pressure did you run?

I also didn't use my 2 step. It has a tendency to make my knock sensor reduce timing. It runs like crap for a while after I use it until timing comes back. I have to figure out how to make it work. I can choose to have the 2 step retard timing 0-30 degrees. Anything less than 5 degrees and it won't keep the engine from revving beyond the set rpm when boost starts to build. If I do more than 5 degrees of antilag it makes my knock sensor pull timing. I could do 5 degrees and not press the throttle all the way down and maybe build a couple psi of boost.

Here's a video explaining how mapecu3 launch control is supposed to work:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I ran 26psi also. On street radials there's no flex and I guessed I just wanted the widest contact patch. I do not have 4wd, but I do have a TRD elocker. Also I have an auto so I just brakeboost all the boost I want. However one of my rear brakes was basically inoperable, so I could not brake stall any boost at all. My 60' was 2.1. I have run as good as a 1.9 60' on RWD (with locker) and street tires with my old 4runner though.

FWIW, in my last Tacoma I tried RWD (open diff) and 4WD and the best times were on 2wd. The trap speeds were consistently 2-3mph more, indicating a pretty big power loss. The 60' times weren't a big enough jump to offset the power loss of the tcase, front driveshaft, front diff, and CV axles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts