Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,774 Posts
Can't answer without more clues ...

What vehicles (years; models) had the 2RZ and 3RZ engines?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,774 Posts
Better, but still not enough clues ...

Which one is the 2000 (2RZ / 3RZ) and which one is the 2002?
Is the 3RZ coming from a PreRunner or a 4X4?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2002 is the 2RZ, the 2000 is the 3RZ, mine is the 2002 with the 2.4L but there is no transmission in it to get numbers off of. I will message the guy to see if the 3RZ is 4WD, If it is I know that won't work. Thank you

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,774 Posts
OK ... Assuming the 3RZ was the original engine in the 2000 Taco, that tells me what I need to know to ID the donor tranny. The 2000 would be a 6-lug PreRunner. The 6-lug chassis is slightly different from the 5-lug chassis (engine and tranny mounts, if I recall correctly ... ), and this may make for additional problems in fitting up the donor tranny.

The automatic transmission in a 5-lug 2002 mini (either cab style) is an A44D.

The automatic transmission in a 6-lug 2000 PreRunner (either cab style) is an A340E.

These are different units from different transmission series. They're both Aisin A-series trannies, but they're different beasts.

Autos aren't my thing, but FWIW here's what I believe would be the issues in trying the tranny swap ...

PROBLEM #1:
I can't find any dimensions diagrams for these trannies, so I can't compare their lengths. If I'm not mistaken the A340 series trannies are longer than the A44 series. This would mean there would be fitment issues and maybe a need to come up with a different - maybe even custom - driveshaft setup.

PROBLEM #2:
Both these auto trannies are electronically controlled (ECT). I have no reason to believe the same ECT controller unit is used for both, and I strongly doubt there's one controller for both. I have no idea what would be involved in transplanting the ECT controller and rewiring things to make the ECT functions work in the recipient vehicle.

PROBLEM #3:
As far as I can tell, the transmission mounts are different for 5-lug and 6-lug Tacos, so you may be looking at some chassis surgery just to mount the A340E.

PROBLEM #4:
Most 2RZ / 3RZ swaps (that I've seen here on CT ...) have kept the A44D (2RZ) tranny. This requires swapping bell housings (and maybe some additional tweaks) so that the engine and tranny mate up and fit in the recipient vehicle.

I'll stop there, even though I suspect there are additional problems that will have to be addressed.

Bottom Line: FWIW this looks to me like a swap that's going to involve a lot of adaptations and maybe some surgery.

Auto-to-auto swaps haven't been that common, so there's not a lot of posted experience and tips to draw on.

My vote is 'No'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm better off to find the right tyranny from a 2Rz! Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me! I GREATLY appreciate it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just FYI, I just did a 2RZ to 3RZ in my 1995 5 lug Tacoma.. All you need is new Fuel Injectors and ECM.. Everything else bolts straight up.. And as far as the frame. .I have installed 6 lug aftermarket parts directly to the frame with not modifications required.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts