Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 84 year old dad's 2001 Toy Taco threw two rods. The engine is toast. The truck is in excellent shape and we want to replace the engine. Can we put in a 2.4 Liter 2RZ-FE motor in place of the 3RZ? This vehicle is an automatic with 4x4. Looking forward to hearing thoughts on this.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,881 Posts
Welcome to CT! ...

Can it be done? Yes. However ...

There are a lot of ifs, ands, and buts ...

For one thing, the engine control systems for 2RZ and 3RZ engines aren't the same, so you might be looking at swapping ECMs, doing some re-wiring, and / or some tweaking to get everything working right.

You might have to stick with the 3RZ ECM anyway, because it's an automatic and 2RZ models used different auto transmissions and none of them were electronically controlled (involving the ECM) like yours is. If I'm not mistaken you'd also have to resolve a mismatch in mating a 2RZ engine to an A340F (?) tranny.

If you attempt to transplant a Tacoma 2RZ from any years other than 2001 - 2004 there may be additional issues or limitations.

If you don't turbo (or whatever ... ) the 2RZ you're going to lose horsepower and torque, if that matters. In recent years I've heard about people swapping 2RZs into their 4X4s, but it always involved adding turbo (etc.) mods.

The #1 question is this: Why are you focusing on a 2RZ swap rather than getting a remanufactured or used 3RZ?

The #2 question is this: Do you have the ability to undertake the additional tweaking / modifications / etc. necessary to do this swap (as compared with simply dropping in a reman 3RZ)?

My point is that this is one of those projects where the option that seems economical can turn out to be more frustrating and expensive than the straightforward approach.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to CT! ...

Can it be done? Yes. However ...

There are a lot of ifs, ands, and buts ...

For one thing, the engine control systems for 2RZ and 3RZ engines aren't the same, so you might be looking at swapping ECMs, doing some re-wiring, and / or some tweaking to get everything working right.

You might have to stick with the 3RZ ECM anyway, because it's an automatic and 2RZ models used different auto transmissions and none of them were electronically controlled (involving the ECM) like yours is. If I'm not mistaken you'd also have to resolve a mismatch in mating a 2RZ engine to an A340F (?) tranny.

If you attempt to transplant a Tacoma 2RZ from any years other than 2001 - 2004 there may be additional issues or limitations.

If you don't turbo (or whatever ... ) the 2RZ you're going to lose horsepower and torque, if that matters. In recent years I've heard about people swapping 2RZs into their 4X4s, but it always involved adding turbo (etc.) mods.

The #1 question is this: Why are you focusing on a 2RZ swap rather than getting a remanufactured or used 3RZ?

The #2 question is this: Do you have the ability to undertake the additional tweaking / modifications / etc. necessary to do this swap (as compared with simply dropping in a reman 3RZ)?

My point is that this is one of those projects where the option that seems economical can turn out to be more frustrating and expensive than the straightforward approach.
Thank you for the response! The only reason we are considering the 2RZ is because they are significantly cheaper than the 3RZ. My mechanic can handle most any of the connection issues, but if these issues add $500 to $1000 of cost, then it doesn't pay to do the 2RZ. The best price I can find on a 3RZ is about $1500 whereas I can buy a 2RZ for $500.
Anyway, the driving factors are entirely financial. Thanks, again, for your help.

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 98 and my 2.7 has 210k miles and needed to be replaced I checked with Jasper engines and no dice so I contacted a machine shop in Chesapeake Virginia and had mine overhauled thier price was around 2700 then extra cost to remove and reinstall from a shop. This mac shop ships all over the USA. I now have my first 2 oil changes done at 500miles each and now have Mobile 1 in it. So nice having my taco on the road again and it has the original engine but overhaulEd I also had new motor mounts installed. Good luck with your truck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts