Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Super Duper Tundraholic
10,196 Posts
Re: 2001-2004 Headlight Adjustment -- Who\'s Done It?

where the hell do you get a 4.5 mm wrench???

·
Registered
475 Posts

Local parts stores sometimes carry them. Don't know about Big Island though. If you need one, let me know. I'll get it and mail it to you.

·
Super Duper Tundraholic
10,196 Posts

Well I'll definetly take you up on that offer.
Damn I've been looking all over for that tiny socket. I'm hoping that the Snap-On dealer might have one. He'll be stopping by my workplace tomorrow. If he doesn't have one, then I'll PM you....

·
Super Duper Tundraholic
10,196 Posts

I actually went down to my dad's workplace after I made that last post. One of the mechanics there had a 4 mm Snap-on socket. It fit!! I thought the adjustment knob needed a 4.5mm?? well that doesn't really matter cause now I have my socket!! But I gotta return it tomorrow. I'm happy now.

·
Super Duper Tundraholic
10,196 Posts

me again...

I went down to Sears and just bought myself a 4mm socket for $1.99. It fits perfectly. In other words, YOU DON'T NEED A 4.5MM SOCKET!!!!! A 4mm socket works fine.

·
[]D [] []D
22,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

so slick makin 3 posts within a few hours to let us know you found your 4mm socket.. ive trained you well young jedi

·
Super Duper Tundraholic
10,196 Posts

YAY!! so when do I get to learn how to play with my light saber?

ahh, yeah....what can I say?

I just figured I let everyone know my findings. 4.5mm sockets are hard to find, but a 4mm is pretty common.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts

Here's a diagram showing the setup and the proper (adjusted) placement of the low beams....

That is EXACTLY what I did when I switched my bulbs/adjusted them

worked great and my visibility is so good now a VERY big improvement over stock.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,813 Posts

FYI: There's also a nice 'generic' (not Taco-specific) writeup about the setup for aiming / adjusting headlights at this Daniel Stern Lighting webpage:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,813 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yay, revive an old topic! WOOHOO!!

Well, I just got me a set of McCulloch 5000K H.I.D and oh boy, does that look nice? Oh yeah.

The only problem is the aiming. From what I'm reading on all of your wonderfully knowledgeable (most of the time :p ) posts, I'm going to assume that there is no way to adjust my lights horizontally. I DID find a screw that MIGHT do the job, but I am not sure, it's a hex bolt and is located in the top side of the headlights towards the center of the car. If you look at the housing, it's just at the upper inner corner. it's hard to turn and you gotta use a set of pliers or something to get there. I don't know if it did any turning for the lights, but from what I saw, the entire housing came out a little bit from the inside so it was facing kinda outwards. Someone want to check that for me? Thanks.

Oh and look, I jacked this picture from Enola so I can show you where that bolt is. It's the red circle

Also what I've been told by my brother (who used to be a car enthusiast himself) is that by DOT law, the drivers side headlights need to be lower than the passenger side to prevent more blinding to the oncoming traffic. Would someone like to clarify that for me too? YAY!

When I get some pictures of my lights, I'll post them up. Thanks ya'll

-mayer-

·
Registered
11,619 Posts
What's the problem with aiming? Projection is too wide? I assume that part of the problem is you're sticking a lightbulb in the assembly that it is not designed for, and the geometry is completely off.

It's not that we "assumed" there is no way to adjust it horizontally. It's that it just cannot be adjusted. That bolt is part of how the assembly is mounted. Perhaps you could put a washer or two behind it, but why bother? It's designed to work fine how it is. I'd tighten it back up, if I were you.

I'd also like to see photos of wiring and mounting points of your HID kit, as well as projection patterns.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I am actually in Korea so I won't be able to put up any pictures any time soon. Thanks for the help though. If you guys know any more stuff, feel free to post

21 - 40 of 47 Posts