Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
[]D [] []D
22,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001-2004 Headlight Adjustment -- Who\'s Done It?

who has actually done this before? i cant go by theories or "it should be" cuz i looked and didnt see any screws to adjust them myself... thanks

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Re: 2001-2004 Headlight Adjustment -- Who\'s Done It?

If you look down behind the headlights there is a little star shape screw that is turned. should be just to the side where the bulb goes in. Sorry I don't have pics, trying to rememeber from my old truck

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

I did it..well i got a shop to do it because they had a little tool that showed them right where the headlights needed to be adjusted. Now people dont flash me anymore and I can see the street better.
The screws are to the right and the left of the grill in the front, right behind the headlights

·
Registered
1,885 Posts

Star shaped? Nah. On mine it is a hex head on the end of a threaded rod, found at the lower outside end on the back of each light housing. Use a 4.5mm wrench. It only adjusts up and down. There is a bit of side to side that you get during the up/down however.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,813 Posts

Here's a diagram showing the setup and the proper (adjusted) placement of the low beams....

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,813 Posts

... And here's a diagram for the location of the adjustment screw thingie (driver's side illustrated)....

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,813 Posts

... And here's the basic procedure (from the '04 FSM):

- get the truck on a level surface facing a vertical wall
- mark on the wall the level / line directly in front of the headlight bulb / center (i.e., @ same vertical height as headlight)
- back the truck away from the wall to a distance of 3 meters (9.84 feet) from the wall surface to the headlights
- turn on low beams
- the low beams should hit the wall 20.9 mm (0.823 in.) _below_ the line @ headlamp height (based on designed 4 degree low beam downward deflection from horizontal)
- use the vertical adjuster bolt / screw to make this so

This should work on any model, because the spec is relative to horizontal from lamp center, not distance from the ground.

·
[]D [] []D
22,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

i am not able to measure 10FT of backing up from a wall
i'll adjust it to where I LIKE IT.. F*** the oncoming traffic... they dont want none of me

thanks guys.. i'll let ya know how it turns out

·
Registered
11,619 Posts

Hmmm, perhaps we should add this to the tech section.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Did you guys have a tough time turning the bolts. I dont have a 4.5 mm wrench thing so I just tried a regular wrench.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts

Thanks Enola......I was planning on doing this......this weekend

·
[]D [] []D
22,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

i still havent bothered to attempt this just yet.. so for now the oncoming traffic and people i follow will have to suffer

·
Registered
4,550 Posts

How do you do it on the 05 models?? I just got HIDs and every once in a while some one will flash their brights. I think they are aimed just a little too high.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts

How do you do it on the 05 models?? I just got HIDs and every once in a while some one will flash their brights. I think they are aimed just a little too high.
it is called glare.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts

No they are aimed too high I think because I can barely see the ground in front of me yet I can see stuff way in the distance. Plus when I park in front of a wall the cutoff line isnt nice and straight like it should be. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts

No they are aimed too high I think because I can barely see the ground in front of me yet I can see stuff way in the distance. Plus when I park in front of a wall the cutoff line isnt nice and straight like it should be. Any ideas?
u have 10000k hid's they will be redish (right?) and dimmer than stock if my calculations are correct. all show no go. since u have a reflector housing that uses a duel filiment bulb, no, the cut off wont be stright, it will be wavy and have hot spots.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts

No they are bright blue and a hell of a lot brighter than stock. Mine dont look like this guys(see attachment).
the attachment is a decent reflector set up.. it mush be 12000 when the redish comes out.

·
Registered
239 Posts

unless you did the projector swap into the housing you wont have a clean line... the clean cutoff is from the actual hid projectors... you may have hid's yes.. but what you might be missing is the hid optics that make the cut off.... dont worry though cause I have hids as well and my cutoff isnt nice a clean... see

this is rossk35's headlights ... he did the retro swap

·
Registered
4,550 Posts

Ok thanks for the info about the cutoff line. I just thought it was supposed to be straight. But I still think they need to be lowered cuz its hard to see the road. I looked under the hood of my X and there is a bolt next to the headlights in the same place as the diagram Enola posted. Hopefully tonight I can attempt to twist it and see if the lighting changes. Anyone else with an 05 know about adjustment?? Thanks

1 - 20 of 47 Posts