Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

2000 taco strange electric water pump

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Enola Gaia 
#1 ·
Hey all,. New to this so please forgive me on anything I'm doing wrong. Recently bought my son a 2000 taco trd. Going through the vehicle to make everything right. Heat isn't working and this pump on the firewall is making a racket. Can't find where anyone has these on their vehicle. Not sure if it is the reason for no heat but a good place to start. I've attached photos. Can anyone tell me if this is OEM or if not why it would be added. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
It's not OEM equipment.

It took me a while to figure out the name / logo on the pump unit is Hella. I'm pretty sure that's proof it isn't OEM.

Hella is known to make auxiliary water pumps. Here's an example:

However ... I can't figure out why it's been mounted on this Taco.

Is there an oversized radiator or some other coolant-related non-factory equipment on this vehicle?

#3 ·
Is this 2000 Taco a manual or an automatic?

Does it have the Towing Package?

If I recall correctly, the Tow Package on an automatic used a different radiator with a mini-radiator mourns on or inside the main radiator assembly for cooling the tranny fluid. I wonder if this one had the Tow Package (or aftermarket / DIY equivalent) and someone added an auxiliary water pump for additional cooling.

#4 ·
Is this 2000 Taco a manual or an automatic?

Does it have the Towing Package?

If I recall correctly, the Tow Package on an automatic used a different radiator with a mini-radiator mourns on or inside the main radiator assembly for cooling the tranny fluid. I wonder if this one had the Tow Package (or aftermarket / DIY equivalent) and someone added an auxiliary water pump for additional cooling.
It is an automatic and doesn't have a tow package. Stock radiator. Do you think it will cause problems if u remove it. Also could this cause heater to not work?

#5 ·
I don't know, because I've never seen anything like this and I can't figure out how it's wired.

Have you found any odd / DIY switches anywhere in the cab / dash area?

Can you trace the pump's wiring to see if you can determine where it's getting its power from (i.e., what is switching it)?

If it's triggering by a relay or thermostat hidden somewhere else (e.g., in or around the heater unit under the dash) removing it might do nothing or make things worse.

Are you sure the dash heater controls are hooked up and working? In 2000 they would have been cable / wire connections and nothing that was electrically activated.

The thought crossed my mind that some bozo installed the electric pump to force coolant through the heater circuit because a valve was jammed or the manual control connections weren't working, but I don't know why anyone would think that could work.

My first suggestion would be to get an appropriate hose, disconnect the electric pump (both wires and hose(s)), use the hose to bypass the pump (taking it out of the fluid circuit entirely), then see if the heating system works with the pump removed.

#6 ·
Oops ... Where are my manners?

Welcome to CT!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.