Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Why would the rear main seal go on my 2000 3.4 taco with 135000 mi. In the same trip to the shop I found out that my drivers side outer axel seal was gone ( that would explane the gear oil smell I have had in the last couple weeks) To much bad news at once:(

· Registered
4,729 Posts
Fairly common issue i think. Mine was leaking since I first bought the truck, and I noticed it 15k miles later. Very small leak, and only leaked on highway drives, hence why it took so long for me to see an oil slick on the back of the rim. But it was replaced under warranty for me. Its pretty easy to replace yourself though I think.

· Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was told to wait till the clutch was gone then it would be about a $1000 job for both. Any thoughts:confused:
My bad I thought you were talking about the rear main seal, not thge rear axle

· Registered
220 Posts
Rear main seal is not that common on the 3.4 L but the rear axle seal is. It is best to replace both clutch and rear main at the same time since your already there. Are you sure it is the rear main? It could be the valve cover or oil cooler seal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.