Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Been doing some research on this since I mounted some winter tires to my stock steel 14x6. Hankook i*Pike 205/75R14 for anyone curious, its been a great tire all winter much better than the all season uniroyals I ran last year (were on it when I bought the truck). Anyway now I need a new set of rims to fit my stock daily driver in a 15-17 inch with no immediate plans to drop it but if I did it would be mild static. Now from what I have be able to surmise from browsing through the many threads already is its usually above an 18 x8 rim that trouble starts happening, and that our trucks like an offset in the +30-40 range depending on tire. My goal would be to keep the tire reasonably close to stock circumference so speedo remains calibrated. In the case of a 16" I'd be looking at 235 or 245 section wide with either 55 or 50 aspect height. Maybe like a Michelin Pilot or Premier or Goodyear Eagle, haven't done a ton of narrowing that bit down yet.

With all that in mind I've found the Enkei J10's 409-670-26 BK, SP 16x7 38 5x112/114.3. This is kind of the sweet spot for me as far as me liking the design as well as the price point (I'd love RPF1 but don't wanna drop $900 on a set). Also if anyone has an pics of a Taco running these that'd be great I did a google search and couldn't really find much as far as trucks using this rim. Thanks guys!

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,615 Posts
Offhand, I can't find any mention of anyone using that particular model Enkei on their Taco.

Fitment troubles depend on the combination of suspension / wheel / tire, so there's no easy formula for determining what will or won't work as is. It's certainly the case that going into the 18X8 range is going to get tricky, but it's also possible to encounter problems with wide 17's and a drop.

FWIW I think your choice to settle into the 16X7 range is a good and practical compromise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulled the trigger on the 409-670-26BK, as well as some Gorilla lug nuts 21133BC, and Gorilla hub centric rings 72-6710. So should be good to go from wheels and mounting standpoint. Now tires, I think I'm going to do Falken Zeix ZE960 or Hankook Ventus V2 Concept2. Either one in a 225/55. Both similarly priced and both good reviews it appears. Just going to check with my local guy before ordering online. Think I'd be all set then!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking for a rim in ~$100-150 range. And settled on the J10s, would've liked RPF1s but oh well. I think they'll look good. Got an appointment to have some Falken Ziex 960 225/55R16 next week. So I'll post up some pics then. How's the width on those 17x10s? I also didn't want to worry about any sort of fitment issues, rubbing ect, so erred on the side of caution with sizing and what not. You do have a sweet Taco there Matos!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
How do you like the 10" wide rims? I was thinking 17x8. It's mainly gonna be a street and maybe track truck. You think it's necessary to go wider?
I really enjoy these, they are the first set I've had that looked perfect for my taste. I did 17x8 before and they were good, but not as meaty looking as I wanted. You can definitely track with 17x8, it's plenty of tire for a Tacoma, especially with a beginner track driver. As you improve, you may want to upgrade. Your stock brakes will need to go as well if you want to spend time on a track as all the changing from triple down to double digit speeds for corners will put a ton of heat into them. I recommend you try autocross first to get a feel for the truck in dynamic situations and see what mods you will need to get the balance you want.

I was looking for a rim in ~$100-150 range. And settled on the J10s, would've liked RPF1s but oh well. I think they'll look good. Got an appointment to have some Falken Ziex 960 225/55R16 next week. So I'll post up some pics then. How's the width on those 17x10s? I also didn't want to worry about any sort of fitment issues, rubbing ect, so erred on the side of caution with sizing and what not. You do have a sweet Taco there Matos!
Thank you sir! The 17x10s work perfectly on the Taco, the only thing is you have to select your offset carefully or they won't have enough backspacing. When that happens, the inner lip of the rim will rub on the sway bar at full steering lock. I trimmed my fender liners and rolled my fenders so rubbing is not an issue for me. You can always get another set of wheels in the future as finances allow. I started with a set of Lancer Evo VIII Enkeis I got off Ebay for like $300 and had powder coated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Fresh from a bath. Enkei J10 16x7 wrapped in Falken Ziex 225/55. Now to get rid of that fender gap....hmmm :unsure::unsure::LOL:
But overall I do like the wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts