Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok as you all seen i plan on swapping motors next fall now is it possable for my 2.4L tacoma engine to get swapped out with a 2.7L? do they bolt up the same way? will i have to get a 2.7L ecu? i know ill have to change my header but ohh well. How interchangeable are these two motors? by looking at them it looks as tho the difference between a 305 and a 350 practally identical there for the 2.7L should drop right on in in my tacoma and give me a lil more horses and torque.
Thanks

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ok as you all seen i plan on swapping motors next fall now is it possable for my 2.4L tacoma engine to get swapped out with a 2.7L? do they bolt up the same way? will i have to get a 2.7L ecu? i know ill have to change my header but ohh well. How interchangeable are these two motors? by looking at them it looks as tho the difference between a 305 and a 350 practally identical there for the 2.7L should drop right on in in my tacoma and give me a lil more horses and torque.
Thanks
I dont think its worth the time or money to have that little bit of horsepower. you can get items to fix up your 2.4 for a fraction of the price a 2.7l engine would cost. and it would also be alot faster than a 2.7

·
BOOSTPIMP
12,867 Posts
Thanks
I dont think its worth the time or money to have that little bit of horsepower. you can get items to fix up your 2.4 for a fraction of the price a 2.7l engine would cost. and it would also be alot faster than a 2.7
If your only doin it for the power difference right away and have no plans of turbo then its a waste of time....the power gain stock would not be worth the time at all.....all will bolt up the exact saem as long as you have the same year motor swappin.....you try an old taco and new 2.7 your in for some trouble....you have to change the engine harness and ECU......also the bell housing on the trans needs changed....same size just a pin on it in a different location a little bit.....if you plan on turbo i highly recomend a 2.7.....but you cant rev a 2.7 like a 2.4....

·
BOOSTPIMP
12,867 Posts
...but you cant rev a 2.7 like a 2.4....
Why not? What's the restriction?
The bore and stroke changed so the reving is slower and wont rev as high.....but mine does now rev much faster then my old 2.4 wiuuuahahahaha shhhhhh......and yes the 2.7 turboed is much better then the 2.4 in my opinion....6psi compared to 10 psi and the same times.....go figure and no injectors or throttle body or anything like my old 2.4 just bone stock 2.7 with 6psi....

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so pimpintacoma could you let me know what i will have to do to complete the 2.4 to 2.7l swap? I know ill have to get a new ecu but i have a 1995 tacoma so will a 96 2.7L engine work? what will bolt up and what will i have to change to make the engine drop on it my truck. also without a turbo or anything what kind of time differences just going from stock 2.4 to stock 2.7L in 1/4mi times? think i could shave a second just doing this swap?
let me know cause i have a 96 2.7l lined up for practally nothing and i wanna get it i just wanna make sure it will be ok. also i have access to a 97 with lower miles id like to get also but i gues the 96 will be easier.
Thanks
Rayme Traub

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I doubt that you'll be able to shave an entire second of of your e/t with 8 more HP and 17 ft-lbs of torque....could be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok i wanted to ask this but totally forgot to mention it. what about putting a 3.4L v6 engine in my tacoma is this possable? could i keep my stock 5 speed there is a wrecked 96 tacoma with a 3.4l i can get. what would i have to do to put this is my tacoma since it is a 2wd and a 5 speed. it basically be a lot like an s runner then but id really like the v6 but let me know on this cause id really like to do the v6 swap rather than the 2.7 but eather would be fine. let me know if it would bolt up to my 5 speed off the 2.4l also if i could just plug in a ecu to make the computer work with the v6.
Thanks
Rayme Traub

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
jbo did this swap in his '97 std cab not to long ago and I'm sure he could let you know whatever you need to know about the V6 swap...send him a PM and maybe he'll help ya out

BTW: That truck must be a beast......std cab V6 with a blower

·
Registered
1 Posts
As long it’s the same years it should just drop in?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts