Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, just joined up after lurking around for several years. Hope that's cool.

I recently got rear ended by some idiot and had to get some bodywork done. While I was at it I got the cab roof repainted since it had some significant chips that were getting rusty. I have a 2003 double cab with the factory installed roof rack. When taking the rack off, the rubber gaskets on the feet of the rack were so old they crumbled away. I got some rubber from a local gasket place, and figured I'd just trace it out and use that, but it looks like crap. Figured I might be able to call the dealer and maybe find replacement pieces but I thought it might be a good idea to ask around and see if anyone knows of a better rack that would fit the factory bolt holes. I know it was a pretty rare option for 2002-2003's I think, but thought I'd throw it out there. Other than looks, the factory roof rack was pretty weak and useless. Always wanted something a little more robust.

Any suggestions?

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,232 Posts
Welcome to CT! :waytogo:

More details on the factory roof rack and its history can be found in this CustomTacos tech article:

http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/index.php?article=15

I don't think anyone's ever mentioned comparing the mounting tactics, much less the mounting hole locations, between the relatively rare factory racks and other, aftermarket ones.

The factory rack was installed at the factory during vehicle assembly, and it was never offered as a dealer-installed accessory. As a result, there's no documentation on the installation or equipment details.

It seems to me that if you're not insisting on the factory rack, the most straightforward strategy would be to take the cab roof back to stock (i.e., fill in the factory holes) and simply add an aftermarket rack you like.

Just my .02 ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Enola. I might just do that eventually. I'd hate to not try to take advantage of factory installed holes and internal supports, so I'm going to do some searching around and see if I can match up some aftermarket rack holes with my truck. If I find out anything useful I'll let everyone know.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,232 Posts
Thanks, Enola. I might just do that eventually. I'd hate to not try to take advantage of factory installed holes and internal supports, so I'm going to do some searching around and see if I can match up some aftermarket rack holes with my truck. If I find out anything useful I'll let everyone know.
Yep - that's what I'd do.

I completely agree it would be best to exploit the additional roof reinforcement(s) that only rack-equipped Double Cabs were given at the factory.

The problem, of course, is tracking down detailed spec's or info about how any aftermarket alternative is exactly mounted (e.g., hole locations).

... And do please let us fellow CT-zens know what you find out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Oscar10...how did you get your roof rack off? I have a 2002 double cab with an OEM rack that I am trying to remove to make room for a GFC camper. This thread is literally the only thing I can find online about anybody removing their rack successfully. Did you have to go in through the interior to get to the mounting bolts or are those accessible from the outside of the vehicle? I would like to prevent having to dismantle my interior in order to do this mod.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,232 Posts
The relevant Tech documentation (cited earlier) is MIA.

The CT website owners lost or discarded all the Tech section articles when they did the latest unexpected and unannounced "upgrade" to the forum look and feel. I've pinged them multiple times about this, but I've never received any clear answer as to whether or when they might restore the Tech documentation.

Here (attached) is the components diagram for the 2002 - 2004 factory option Double Cab roof rail (roof rack) equipment. This is the only factory documentation illustrating the attachment of the roof rail stuff to the cab. I'm not sure how accurately it represents the screws that actually attach the assembly to the cab. The only thing I'm sure of is that there are 8 screw holes through the roof you're going to have to deal with.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Enola Gaia Thanks for that PDF...that helps a lot. According to that diagram, the 8 mounting screws you speak of look like they drill in from the outside of the cab. Now I just need to figure out how to get the leg covers off and how patch the holes from the mounts. I'm going to be painting the truck in bedliner so I want to do this beforehand so I don't have to repaint the roof.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,232 Posts
Yep - the screws are screwed in from the outside, but I'm not 100% certain the diagram accurately portrays which screws on the assembly run into the roof. My guess is that the long screws (not the shorter rack bar screws) run through the rack leg and into the roof. The diagram seems to indicate it's the shorter rack bar screws that attach the rack leg to the roof.

In any case, once you get the rail / rack removed you're going to have 8 holes to deal with immediately.

If the roof is going to be bedlined (and looks aren't a priority) ... I'd be tempted to remove the rack, leave / replace the screws in place with synthetic washers, and then cover them with the bedliner. Patching the holes and then bedlining would probably be better for the long run, though ...

One more thing ... The 2002 - 2004 DC roof racks are rare items. If you can remove the components without destroying them you might be able to sell 'em for enough to make it worth your while.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you have any success removing your roof rack @backcountyaddict? Ive got a double cab 02' with a roof rack that needs to be removed pending a GFC installment as well and Im looking for advice if you have any.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts