Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Am Very Interested In Swapping A 1jz (twin Turbo Supra Motor) Into My 98 Tacoma. Its Bagged On 18's, Whos Done This, What Should I Look Out For, Any Useful Websites, Etc? Pics?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive only seen it on one silver drag style taco but that means its possible, i just wanna know if its doable laying on 18's and what all is involved besides the obvious, rewiring it all, motor mounts, making the shifter linkage, and all the piping/intercooler.
was that guys truck bagged by any chance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,487 Posts
naw it was the same truck you saw... you owuld need new mounts run the ic piping which isnt a big deal at all really... rewire the harness.. put high flow fuel pump in your tank....somehow incorporate the exhaust into the stock exhaust or go straight custom. perhaps new radiator.. you would have to cut the floorboard to let the new shifter position come through the floorboard.. there's probally a lot more but thats the basics:waytogo:



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,388 Posts
shideburns said:
ive only seen it on one silver drag style taco but that means its possible, i just wanna know if its doable laying on 18's and what all is involved besides the obvious, rewiring it all, motor mounts, making the shifter linkage, and all the piping/intercooler.
was that guys truck bagged by any chance?
No.

And bagged?? :lol::lol: Good luck hooking it up.

Talk about a waste of a good engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dont Hate Just Because You Cant Afford It And Even If You Had It You Couldnt Make It Happen. I Guarantee I Hook Up Better With Bags And A 4 Link Than You Dropped With Leaf Springs, How Many Dragsters Do You See On Leafs. But I Wasnt On Here To Start Fighting, I Was Looking For Friendly Advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,388 Posts
shideburns said:
Dont Hate Just Because You Cant Afford It And Even If You Had It You Couldnt Make It Happen. I Guarantee I Hook Up Better With Bags And A 4 Link Than You Dropped With Leaf Springs, How Many Dragsters Do You See On Leafs. But I Wasnt On Here To Start Fighting, I Was Looking For Friendly Advice.
Hey dipsh!t. I'm on bags too. :rolleyes: Get your facts right before you start whining.

I can afford it, I 1. have better things to do w/ my $, and 2. sure as hell would reconsider what I want out of a vehicle before I drop a 1jz in a bagged truck.

Sorry for not being "friendly" about how I said it. It's the truth, suck it up.

Run some fvckin coilovers instead of bags.
 

·
Team Canada
Joined
·
5,122 Posts
Chris as much as I love you that was a tad uncalled for. If the guy wants to put a 1jz in his taco, i say giver tits. 1st It would look dope under the hood at a truck show and 2nd it would be pushing the envelope of what can be done to our trucks. Go for it man, if you can afford it, why not? Sorry I cannot offer you any more info, but I know with my bags everyhting works with the stock 2rz :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,388 Posts
Daveowen said:
but I know with my bags everyhting works with the stock 2rz :p
Which is less than 1/2 the hp of a turbo'd 1jz.

He can do whatever floats his boat, but he wanted some advice so I gave it to him. He didn't ask about points for what looks good under the hood, so I told him what I though about having a bagged suspension for higher hp applications.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,388 Posts
Daveowen said:
A properly set up 4 link with bags is just as affective as leafs, so i've been told.
It's actually better. But when you're talking about high hp applications a 4 link w/ bags is NOT beneficial. There isn't enough dampening by the bag to be able to hook up well. Either 1. you're going to burn out too much from a lack of rebound/compression damping, or 2. if its improperly setup you're going to get massive axle hop.

Coilovers will give you adjustable rebound damping (and way better compression damping) to help keep the tires on the ground and hook up for a better 60' than bags ever will. Keep in mind that damping is important dealing with traction, bottoming resistance (more of a moot point in this situation), and dynamic dive. On top of that all the compressors, tanks, wiring, valves, c notch, piping, extra xmembers, etc just add more weight. Which in turn only slows you down.

This is why I say a bagged truck is just not benefical for drag applications, nor worth throwing a 1jz into.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,534 Posts
there is an ongoing debate on air springs vs coil springs. usually the people who defend coil springs never used a properly setup air system
anyways bags and a 4 link is better than leaf springs in any truck with any motor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,388 Posts
octaco said:
there is an ongoing debate on air springs vs coil springs. usually the people who defend coil springs never used a properly setup air system
anyways bags and a 4 link is better than leaf springs in any truck with any motor
Bags and a 4link are better than leaf springs no doubt.

Trust me I do believe coilovers are better for drag and autox applications than bags. I've ridden in plenty of good bag setups and I do know for a fact mine is a good setup. Nothing wild, but I know it's a proper setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im Not Planning Or Drag Racing My Truck,i Want To Motor Because It Would Cost About As Much To Do As Fully Building My Motor And Yeah, It Would Be A Cooler Mod Imo For Showing. I Would Still Go Out And Rip Around On The Streets But Here In Az You Cant Get On The Track With Shaved Handles Anyway. Plus A Stock 1jz Should Not Give Me Too Many Problems Where A Fully Build 2.4 Or 2.7 Might.
Im Not Saying Air Is Better Than Coil Overs, But With My Set Up (forward Bars, Shocks, And Set Up Right) I Should Be Alright.

And Sorry Chris Im Just Looking For Info About The 1jz Swap, Not Trying To Start Sh*t With You Or Anyone
 

·
YEP... I'MMA DOUCH3
Joined
·
10,933 Posts
the 1jz and tranny, and wire harness all is gonna cost you less than building your 2rz... what planet is this Arizona on? the motor alone 2500, and a getrag 6 speed is hella expensive, I don't even want to get into the wiring harness and ecu- even if you can manage to find them- then you have to get all that **** installed... that sway should cost you around 8k... whereas you could make your 2rz much faster and as reliable for 5k, and that would include the entire drive train and turbo system!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,388 Posts
shideburns said:
Im Not Planning Or Drag Racing My Truck,i Want To Motor Because It Would Cost About As Much To Do As Fully Building My Motor And Yeah, It Would Be A Cooler Mod Imo For Showing. I Would Still Go Out And Rip Around On The Streets But Here In Az You Cant Get On The Track With Shaved Handles Anyway. Plus A Stock 1jz Should Not Give Me Too Many Problems Where A Fully Build 2.4 Or 2.7 Might.
Im Not Saying Air Is Better Than Coil Overs, But With My Set Up (forward Bars, Shocks, And Set Up Right) I Should Be Alright.

And Sorry Chris Im Just Looking For Info About The 1jz Swap, Not Trying To Start Sh*t With You Or Anyone
Well at least you understand I wasn't trying to start sh!t. Just giving my view. Either way, as a drag vehicle or not you gotta take into consideration your suspension, can it really handle the hp? Yes and no. It's a better setup than leaf springs, but I really feel you'd be better off w/ coilovers, moreso for traction issues. You'd be lying if you said you wouldn't drag race it. I do feel the 1jz is a more expensive swap than working up your 2rz. In the reliability aspect, it depends. If you build up the bottom and top end, you'd have just as a reliable engine than a 1jz. (Minus the massive labor costs for install as well).
 

·
ct stalker
Joined
·
3,540 Posts
ChrisTaco said:
This is why I say a bagged truck is just not benefical for drag applications, nor worth throwing a 1jz into.
Jerry was running bag on his turbo truck and was able to get 1.8 - 1.9 60fts on 18in street tires.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top