Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told last night at a local car meet that this could be done and be relatively inexpensive (1500 for motor then splicing and installing of engine into car for around 1000 bucks) I was wondering if it is possible and if there are any major mods and what not. I tried the search function but returned no hits with any information on this.

Thanks for any help and any info you guys can give me.

·
Premium Member
5,874 Posts
anything is possible... but frankly, there is SO much potential for your 2rz, why bother swapping it? Get a turbo kit going on your 2rz and to hell with the swap.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,647 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thing is, the more you modify an engine, the less reliable it becomes. Sooo why not put in something that was engineered to be reliable at a considerably higher hp? Id love to drop in a 1JZ GTTE and be done with it, and I dont need a V8. Im just wondering what I would need to get to do this swap and the difficulty. Will this even work for an '03? Ive searched google and found squat. Any one here actually done it?

·
back in black (tacoma)!
6,238 Posts
Thing is, the more you modify an engine, the less reliable it becomes. Sooo why not put in something that was engineered to be reliable at a considerably higher hp? Id love to drop in a 1JZ GTTE and be done with it, and I dont need a V8. Im just wondering what I would need to get to do this swap and the difficulty. Will this even work for an '03? Ive searched google and found squat. Any one here actually done it?
I agree.

Done all over again, I would probably drop in a 1j.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I would love to boost a 2RZ, but fab and what not for this engine along would cost what, 2K? Then factor in that the engine wasnt ever meant to be turboed (no forged internals so anything over 7lbs is pushing it plus no intercooler) Then if you go anything over 7lbs theres injector/fuel pump issues so why not eleminate that with an engine that was built for it?
They are selling these engines pretty reasonably and are built to be good turboed engines or power monsters if you so choose to upgrade the blowers.

P.S. Im not trying to actively do this any time soon, my truck is a daily beater for now while I devote time to my 63 Benz and Karmann Ghia. Id love to try this one day to make a nice sleeper taco that can run with the big boys down here in my area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts