Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an ignition ring light froma 97 4runner that fits my 99 base Tacoma. I even found an unused plug under my dash that plugs right into it.

Problem, it doesn't turn on. I replaced the bulb, did several combinations of opening and closing doors, turning on and off the headlights. Doesn't turn on.

I found the ignition relay module and it has wires that match the color of the plug going to the ring. It even seems to be connected to my dome light. Except it is missing one pin that plugs into the red and green wire that I assume goes to the light. Doesn't look like it was ever there.

Is this as simple as finding the correct ignition relay module to get everything working correctly?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
I don't know ... :shrug:

A 1997 4Runner ignition switch light is controlled by the Body ECU, and its function is controlled by the door courtesy switch / light circuit. It's supposed to turn off circa 5 seconds after the driver's side door is closed. I'm not sure what controls this delayed turn-off function.

Your 1999 Taco light ring is controlled from the Integration Relay, and it's wired on a circuit that loops from one terminal on the Integration Relay to another.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know ... :shrug:

A 1997 4Runner ignition switch light is controlled by the Body ECU, and its function is controlled by the door courtesy switch / light circuit. It's supposed to turn off circa 5 seconds after the driver's side door is closed. I'm not sure what controls this delayed turn-off function.

Your 1999 Taco light ring is controlled from the Integration Relay, and it's wired on a circuit that loops from one terminal on the Integration Relay to another.

I'm gonna experiment with this, it's froma 97 4runner, but any idea what that white plug goes too?

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
I'm gonna experiment with this, it's froma 97 4runner, but any idea what that white plug goes too? ...
Is that the Body ECU? :shrug:

Can you post the full part number on it? I can only make out the last segment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that the Body ECU? :shrug:

Can you post the full part number on it? I can only make out the last segment.

It's the relay integration module for a 97 4runner. They have the part number listed as 82641-35180.

I've found others that are similar to what's already in my truck from other models and years, with the same connectors. I've just been wondering how much variation would there be if i just connected a similar module

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
Here (attached) is the 1996 - 2002 4Runner interior lighting wiring diagram.

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
Here (attached) is the 1999 Tacoma interior lighting wiring diagram.

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
I suspect the difference has to do with grounding the ignition key lamp circuit.

It appears to me that the 4Runner version grounds the ignition key cylinder light circuit to / through one or any of the ground points provided by the door courtesy switches and / or other lamps that ground at their mounts.

The Tacoma version of the circuit loops out and back to the Integration Relay, meaning that the ground connection for the light is somehow controlled by the Integration Relay. The relay is a 'black box', and I can't tell what circuit leads to ground from the ignition key lamp.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
It's the relay integration module for a 97 4runner. They have the part number listed as 82641-35180.

I've found others that are similar to what's already in my truck from other models and years, with the same connectors. I've just been wondering how much variation would there be if i just connected a similar module
Thanks for the clarification.

I don't see how you could transplant the 4Runner module without having even more electrical weirdness to sort out.

If I'm correct about grounding being the problem all you need to do is create a reliable ground connection for the key cylinder lamp circuit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the clarification.

I don't see how you could transplant the 4Runner module without having even more electrical weirdness to sort out.

If I'm correct about grounding being the problem all you need to do is create a reliable ground connection for the key cylinder lamp circuit.
On my next day off, I'll get some wire and ground it. See what happens from there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Good news!

I verified with a multimeter that those wor wires were in fact going to the light runnin ring.

I checked the blue and yellow pin from the relay integration module and found 12v.

I grounded out the red and green wire and the light ring lit up.

I removed the red and green pin from the plug in the harness, cut enough wire from the pin in case I wanted to put it back and ran it to ground.

Everything seems to be good to go.

Thanks a ton!

Edit:

Kinda stays on all the time now... lol
I'm gonna sit and think on it

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
I sorta thought that might happen (that the ring lamp would stay lit always).

My guess is that the circuit was designed so that the control box (Body ECU; Integration Relay) automatically kills the light after a certain time or when a certain cue occurred, based on some 'logic' inside.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sorta thought that might happen (that the ring lamp would stay lit always).

My guess is that the circuit was designed so that the control box (Body ECU; Integration Relay) automatically kills the light after a certain time or when a certain cue occurred, based on some 'logic' inside.
I was hoping the logic was controlled on the one pin, but I guess not.

I located a relay box for an SR5 Tacoma, I'm hoping that may do the trick.

I tried to find pictures references of it online and couldn't find anything useful, so I referenced options and part numbers between the base and SR5.

I'll find out next week.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,577 Posts
I was hoping the logic was controlled on the one pin, but I guess not. ...
My guess is that the controller logic disconnects the internal connection (through the controller) to a ground point, killing the light.

If I understood correctly, you hooked up an independent ground line for the lamp.

Since the lamp has its own path to ground, it stays lit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My guess is that the controller logic disconnects the internal connection (through the controller) to a ground point, killing the light.

If I understood correctly, you hooked up an independent ground line for the lamp.

Since the lamp has its own path to ground, it stays lit.

So I did some shopping and got a relay integration module from a 99 V6 Tacoma with 4x4, ran the part number through parts.toyota.com and it said it would work.

Video of it working.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts