Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I have a 1998 SR5 and I'm preparing the truck for more power, bigger brakes, and bigger wheels and tires.
I can't find any 12.559" 5 lug brake rotors to fit the Seqouia 4 piston calipers.

This is the only reason, why I may convert to 6 lug.
Does anyone know if I can simply swap in Prerunner rear axles, and Prerunner front hubs?

If not, how would I convert to 6 lug without changing the ride height.

The other option is to have a set of custom rotors made, but that sounds expensive, and I'd rather use off the shelf parts, like maybe Mitsubishi 3000 GT Turbo rotors. I haven't checked what the offset is, from the inside face to the brake surface, but the diameter is pretty close, @ 12.362" vs 12.559".

Planning on running 17x8, or 17x8.5-9", and 245/45/17 tires.

Thanks!

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,212 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish. If I understand correctly, the core reason you're contemplating a 6-lug conversion is to accommodate the larger Sequoia rotors. I've got a funny feeling the amount of effort and money you'd invest in the conversion would equal or exceed the cost of backing up and reconsidering the rotors.

Also, it seems you want to maintain your stock ride height (more or less). Is that right? Off hand, I don't recall anyone bringing up the idea of converting a 5-lugger to 6-lug format, unless maybe it was someone who was lifting their 5-lugger anyway.

Except for the front drive axle most of the PreRunner suspension / wheel / brake stuff is simply the same as what's used on the 4WD models. I'm not sure how much of all that you'd have to replace to convert to 6-lug using OEM parts.

The steering racks and columns are different (part numbers), too. I have no idea whether you'd be forced to do some steering gear modifications, and if so how much / how tricky.

Maybe I'm just not understanding something here, but it seems to me you're going 'way out on a limb to make major changes just for the sake of using those Sequoia rotors.

·
Registered
97 2.4l extra cab manual trans #🌮⏳
2,195 Posts
Search out BBK. Otherwise there are some upgrades to improve braking without going big (cheaper)
Upgrade pads, rotors, and ss lines.
The 6lug conversion seems a long way around to get the result

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are non OEM brake upgrade options that will let you keep your truck 5 lug.
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish. If I understand correctly, the core reason you're contemplating a 6-lug conversion is to accommodate the larger Sequoia rotors. I've got a funny feeling the amount of effort and money you'd invest in the conversion would equal or exceed the cost of backing up and reconsidering the rotors.

Also, it seems you want to maintain your stock ride height (more or less). Is that right? Off hand, I don't recall anyone bringing up the idea of converting a 5-lugger to 6-lug format, unless maybe it was someone who was lifting their 5-lugger anyway.

Except for the front drive axle most of the PreRunner suspension / wheel / brake stuff is simply the same as what's used on the 4WD models. I'm not sure how much of all that you'd have to replace to convert to 6-lug using OEM parts.

The steering racks and columns are different (part numbers), too. I have no idea whether you'd be forced to do some steering gear modifications, and if so how much / how tricky.

Maybe I'm just not understanding something here, but it seems to me you're going 'way out on a limb to make major changes just for the sake of using those Sequoia rotors.
I definitely don't want to raise it.

I like to use factory upgrades,the Seqouia brakes look pretty good to me, and I'm trying to get information.

I also like the 6 lug Tacoma wheels, and I prefer to use hubcentric wheels without adapter rings.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts