Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I would say recently I've been having some problems slowly arize into something much bigger today.

All my electrical such as dome lights, headlights, dash lights all dim when the blinkers are on, radio cuts off randomly while driving and every so often which is occuring more and more frequently; while accelerating the truck will complete just cut power randomly and pull the truck to a stop then immediately kick back to accelerating. Other times less frequently; the truck will stall.

I think it's an electrical problem because all my electrical is tripping out and I can feel the loss of power in the truck. Its not the alternator because I multimetered it out and I'm getting my 14.2v when the truck is on. So the alternator is giving power to the battery efficiently.

Any other suggestions what it could be?

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,294 Posts
Welcome to CT.

Are there any other electrical circuits that are failing or working only intermittently besides the ones you mentioned?

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,294 Posts
... while accelerating the truck will complete just cut power randomly and pull the truck to a stop then immediately kick back to accelerating. Other times less frequently; the truck will stall.
When the truck loses power and you come to a stop, does it make a difference (in whether it kicks back into power versus stalling) depending on whether you use the brakes or not?

When it happens to "kick back to accelerating" do you mean:

(a) it fires up again idling
OR
(b) it revs up as if it's still accelerating?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to CT.

Are there any other electrical circuits that are failing or working only intermittently besides the ones you mentioned?

The truck is all manual besides the lights and radio. Manual windows, side mirrors and transmission so anything electrical is acting up which is basically; all the lights, radio and A.C

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,294 Posts
There are many possibilities ...

Of the things you mentioned, the only one that's specified as a trigger is using the turn signals.

Do ALL the electrical gremlins ALWAYS occur when you use the turn signals / blinkers?

I still need answers for the questions I asked yesterday.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,294 Posts
One thing strikes me as odd ... You mentioned the dome light dimming. Does this only happen when you're parked?

I can't figure out how you'd know the dome light was dimming while the truck was moving.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,294 Posts
I notice that the circuits you list all having wiring that passes through one or both of the junction blocks labeled J / B No. 3. There are two of these junction blocks with the same name (no, I don't know why that is ... ).

Both are located up behind the dash - one to the left (driver) side near the steering column, and one in the center (behind / above the radio location). If there's a wiring fault (short; bad connection) behind all these issues, it's most probably in the center one if it's not somewhere in a particular circuit.

Here (attached) is the '98 relay location diagram illustrating where these are located, in case you need to check them later.

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,294 Posts
It's possible for a bad ground point connection to cause this sort of weirdness. The ground points IE and IG are involved in all the affected circuits. These two ground points are found at either end of the metal reinforcement up behind the dash, where the reinforcement meets the sidewall.

The ground lines should all be white wires with black stripes.

It's probably worth double-checking these 2 ground points in case it's a simple ground connection problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When the truck loses power and you come to a stop, does it make a difference (in whether it kicks back into power versus stalling) depending on whether you use the brakes or not?

When it happens to "kick back to accelerating" do you mean:

(a) it fires up again idling
OR
(b) it revs up as if it's still accelerating?

B. While accelerating it does out for like a split second pull the truck then instantly kicks back to accelerating jerking the truck back into acceleration like it ran out of air which would make me think throttle body is stuck but it wouldn't explain the electrical. This is a new occurrence. The truck never really have issues before

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One thing strikes me as odd ... You mentioned the dome light dimming. Does this only happen when you're parked?

I can't figure out how you'd know the dome light was dimming while the truck was moving.

I noticed ally lights such as headlights and interior dash was dimming when the turn signals are on so I turned my dome light on and checked to see if that was getting dimmed to and it was so all the accessories are getting their power pulled from them somewhere.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,294 Posts
Double-check ground point EA (engine bay; on the left front fender; it'll have a white wire with black stripe leading to it). This is a third ground point involved in the turn signal circuit. If that ground connect was bad it might explain the misbehavior when the turn signals are activated.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,294 Posts
Do you have any non-factory electrical or lighting components installed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's possible for a bad ground point connection to cause this sort of weirdness. The ground points IE and IG are involved in all the affected circuits. These two ground points are found at either end of the metal reinforcement up behind the dash, where the reinforcement meets the sidewall.

The ground lines should all be white wires with black stripes.

It's probably worth double-checking these 2 ground points in case it's a simple ground connection problem.

I got it fixed. I changed the battery terminals on the battery and fixed the IE ground and it went back to normal, so it was probably one of those. Thank you

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,294 Posts
Glad to learn you got it resolved ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts