Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
馃馃徑馃馃徑Wanted to lower the rear end of my 96yoti and wanted to use the 4x4 rear leaf swap to do so. Trying to keep it pretty clean without using a HUGE block in the rear end. Especially if we try to kick it on occasional turns. So what year/trim 4x4 leafs will fit and give kinda an OEM Toyota Rear end drop. Mahalo if anybody ansa

Mambeau / Admin
(1) Welcome to CT!

(2) Is your current suspension setup bone-stock? If not, what has been done already?

(3) I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to accomplish (overall). Are you talking about dropping the rear alone without doing anything on the front? Or are you just talking about a rear mod that's part of a broader front / rear drop project?

Mambeau / Admin
Just for the record ...

Very knowledgeable / experienced suspension guy Brian (Beefed Taco) noted that the S-Dad Mod seems to yield a consistent 2" drop regardless of engine / cab style (i.e., vehicle weight). He was specifically mentioning this in relation to Regular Cabs like yours.

Brian also noted that this amount of drop is basically the same as you'd get by removing the middle leaf and flipping the overload spring in the OEM 5-lug leaf pack. I mention this because it would give you a way to simulate the same amount of drop using your stock leafs. This strategy doesn't yield the same degree of stiffness and load tolerance as the S-Dad Mod, but for some folks it's enough for their purposes.

Mambeau / Admin
One more thing ...

If you decide to use the S-Dad Mod (4X4 leaf swap) you'll need to use leafs from the 1995.5 - 1997 era. The leaf lengths changed with the 1998 model year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts