Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted for new member truth1110:

I was giving a 85 corolla with a 2rz motor outta a 95tacoma. It was not running at the time. I cleaned the fuel pump put new injectors and fuel filter. I also did a tune up plugs wires ect. The car and starts and runs great until u go over 4000rpm. The car sat for a year before I got it running. It will go through the gears fine but it u jump on it it will backfire,pop and bog down at 4000rpm. I am a nissan guy so do not know much abt this motor any ideas??

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How much do you know about the 2RZ transplant done on this Corolla?

Was the Tacoma ECM transplanted as well?

If so ... Does this rig have an OBD connector so you can connect a scanner and read codes? If this is possible, that's where I'd suggest starting.

The wackiness that breaks out at 4000 rpm sounds like an ECM choking while in fail-safe mode. A fail-safe mode would be triggered by the ECM flagging a potentially serious code.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It has the tacoma ecm as well. It has a check engine light but nothing to plug into to pull the code. I started it up today after it rained last night and it was trying to die as soon as I touched the gas.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It may not sound like it, but I suspect the most economical approach would be to wire in an OBD connector (or find wherever it's hidden ...) so you can read the code(s). If you can access the codes it should point you directly to the area of the problem.

If you don't, you're going to be throwing parts at it and possibly spending money you don't need to spend. In the worst case scenario, the code(s) are resulting from something left undone or ignored during an incomplete transplant, and it could take forever to figure out what's not working as it should.

Just my .02 ...

·
Registered
471 Posts
shouldn't the truck that this motor came from been obd1? You should have a diagnostics port somewhere under the hood. IF that's the case you just trip two of the terminals (can't remember which ones anymore) and your CEL will blink a certain amount of times for a certain code. I would think if the OBD part of the harness was completely removed, you may have other issues.

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1995.5 Tacoma (the very first Tacoma) had onboard OBDII with a DLC3 connector under the dash.

There _was_ a DLC1 connector in the engine bay, but as far as I know it was only used for tracing ABS diagnostic codes. I don't know if it was possible to read engine diagnostic codes off the DLC1 - I can't find any mention of using it that way in the relevant FSM's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok more info for you guys. The car transplant was done right. The guy I got it from bought it from the guy who did the transplant. He bought the car in 2010 it ran great till last year he blew a fuel line. Took him 6 months to get the proper line after he replaced it the car would not start. I will tear off the dash and look for the plug. My guess is the engine light is not the issue tho. Does anyone have a diagram of the direction the distributer rotar so be pointed??

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here (attached) is the FSM section (1995.5 / 1996) describing distributor removal / installation, etc. :waytogo:

Attachments

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you know what caused the fuel line to fail?

I'm wondering if the fuel line replacement is the key to this puzzle ... :thinking:

·
Registered
25 Posts
He said it exploded. The fuel line runs near the header tho so my thought is it got to close to it. It took him so long to replace it because he had to get one made. The one end connects to the 85 corolla fuel filter other end to the 2rz rail.

·
Registered
25 Posts
After it sat for 6 months he just added more fuel to it. That is why it would not start. The injectors and filter was clogged. That is all replaced now tho

·
Registered
25 Posts
I looked under the dash completely and see nothing. I did find a plug in the engine bay the and cap on top of it reads diagnosis on it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
have you drained the tank or checked for fuel leaks there. I'd bet that the line got some crap in it. Since you've tried to run it, all that gunk from sitting, is now circulated all throughout your fuel system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Drained the tank, cleaned out the pump, coated the tank and purged the fuel lines. Also new filter and injectors on it. So the fuel system should be completely new.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ok yea, the fuel system definitely seems in check. If it is ignition, i find it unlikely that it would act up at 4k, and then now not want to run at all. I could be completely wrong, but i have never had something do that to me. That OBD port underneath the hood cannot be used for code reading.

·
Registered
25 Posts
After looking closer at the engine there are 3 inlets on top of the engine. They were cover with rubber nipples that were dry rotted. I am hoping just a vacuum leak. Fingers crossed

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Could the timing be screwed up from cranking it to get it to start???
It's possible to jump the timing chain and throw off the timing. But ...

If your timing had been thrown out of synch like that I don't think you'd only see symptoms at around 4000 rpm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Also was told to look into the egr valve and the maf. Where are these located?? Sorry for the dumb question but autozone does not carry a book for this motor.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts