Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 1995 2.4 L taco drove the vehicle and drove fine , previous owner told me that it had died on him before while driving but would crank up .
I drove the vehicle home and half way home it died and started back up , then never started back up after I parked it at home

Engine harness seemed dry rotten so I’m replacing it with new one from Toyota.(may be the cause for a short in the harness)

I tried finding the fault that is causing the efi2 fuse to blow up as soon as I put the key to the on position but couldn’t find it. Anyone here think it may be due to the engine harness?

or is there anything else I should look for?

ps I did replace the crank sensor

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,910 Posts
Welcome to CT!

You're confusing me with the reference to a "efi2" fuse. Are you referring to the 15A EFI fuse?

The 1995.5 Tacoma 2RZ wiring diagrams don't show any fuse labeled "efi2 / EFI2".

If the 15A EFI fuse was blown it would take out the EFI Relay and the entire ECM.

Did you have to replace the fuse when it died on you while driving it home? Did you do anything that might explain why you could start it again? Did it have time to completely cool off before it would start again?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the miss understanding, the correct fuse that blows up is the am2 fuse , I had to look at the fuse box again .

when it died it started back up 15 seconds after dying

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,910 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. Hmmmm ...

First - here (attached) is the 1995.5 4-cylinder engine control system wiring diagram.

The AM2 fusible link is the power source for the entire ignition system. Unfortunately, this means the fault could be anywhere throughout the entire ignition system.

The AM2 popping suggests a short that's drawing excessive current. It seems to me the first place(s) to check would be the higher-voltage components that draw power directly off the AM2. These would be:

• the distributor
  • the igniter
  • the injectors

Of course, the hypothetical short could be anywhere in the wiring downstream from the AM2 fusible link.

I suppose it's also possible the short could be in the ignition switch itself.

That's about all I can tell from the available clues.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the clarification. Hmmmm ...

First - here (attached) is the 1995.5 4-cylinder engine control system wiring diagram.

The AM2 fusible link is the power source for the entire ignition system. Unfortunately, this means the fault could be anywhere throughout the entire ignition system.

The AM2 popping suggests a short that's drawing excessive current. It seems to me the first place(s) to check would be the higher-voltage components that draw power directly off the AM2. These would be:

• the distributor
  • the igniter
  • the injectors

Of course, the hypothetical short could be anywhere in the wiring downstream from the AM2 fusible link.

I suppose it's also possible the short could be in the ignition switch itself.

That's about all I can tell from the available clues.
I did replace the ignition switch but since I’m waiting for the new engine harness I do not know if it will blow the fuse , I’m also going to replace the igniter since it also looks like it hasn’t been replaced in a while

1 - 5 of 5 Posts