Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay.. so I've got a 2000 V6 TRD thats had a check engine light for a while (so I can't get emissions done), and there was a diagnostic fault (bank 1, sensor 1). I finally replaced the sensors after fighting with several stores about which parts I needed and which ones I was getting, but now the dealer says that I need new catalytic conferters (for an absolutely outrageous $1800 for parts). And I was just told that my truck is a California model (which is supposedly why it has 2 cats).
If I can't fix this for a fraction of that cost then I am going to drive it off a bridge. Does anyone know what I can get to replace the parts and/or if I can replace the siamese twins with a regular single cat (from the dealer or otherwise) and pass emissions so I can renew my registration?

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
If you go to an exhoust shop that is emissions certified they can install a after market cat. Either a direct fit or a universal. There was a guy on ebay selling direct replacement cats i bought a couple universals from him and they were pretty cheap like 50.00 apeice. Try that route hope it helps

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, I wasn't aware of any extended emissions warranties. I'll call the dealer about that tomorrow, and I'll have to look around for exhaust shops that could do a cheap replacement.. I just can't even fathom how the dealer could possibly charge that much for that part, its insanity!:looney:

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
JLong80 said:
thanks, I wasn't aware of any extended emissions warranties. I'll call the dealer about that tomorrow, and I'll have to look around for exhaust shops that could do a cheap replacement.. I just can't even fathom how the dealer could possibly charge that much for that part, its insanity!:looney:
all kind of high dollar metals in there, crazy stuff. the stuff that fell on the driveway sure looked different from anything ive seen before...:lol:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
expensive metals are cool and all.. but $1800 for two? whats so different about toyota cats that everyone else is charging a few hundred for?

·
Boost Addict
712 Posts
JLong80 said:
Federal Emissions Warranty.... 8 years 80k miles

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
80,000 miles huh?....

well, thats no good.

I'll bet Virginia has issues about aftermarket converters, too..
:brickknoc

·
Waxed to Perfection
5,658 Posts
Just make sure the aftermarket cats are Cali legal... Then your good to go..

·
Registered
220 Posts
you dont need to replace the rear cat.. just the front one. if your getting the P0420 code. The ECU cannot read the 2nd cat output so it just fails for the first cat. So dont waste your money and just buy the first cat and the gaskets. Its a bolt on system very easy unless you got a ton of rust then I would recommened getting new nuts.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Batuking is right I had the same problem with my 2000 taco with Cali emissions. Dealer told me to replace both cats and wanted about 1800. I bought the front one aftermarket for about 5 bills and swapped it in. Was able to get the truck inspected and sold with no problems. Good luck:)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
glassdoc said:
Just make sure the aftermarket cats are Cali legal... Then your good to go..
Part of OBD2 standars set by the EPA, No aftermarket cats are CARB certified. Only OEM.

Question. If it had a o2sensor fault for b1s1, did a fault return (P0420) for the catalytic converter after you replaced the sensor? And yes, $1800 seems waqy to much. Last time I replaced one on a 4Runner was half that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TahoesHateMe said:
Part of OBD2 standars set by the EPA, No aftermarket cats are CARB certified. Only OEM.

Question. If it had a o2sensor fault for b1s1, did a fault return (P0420) for the catalytic converter after you replaced the sensor? And yes, $1800 seems waqy to much. Last time I replaced one on a 4Runner was half that.
yes, the fault for the converter did return after replacing the sensor (not sure the fault number though).

well.. now i guess I'm going to order a cat then.. what have you guys used and recommend for direct stock replacements?

·
Mr. Pessimistic
2,189 Posts
lcengineering has a direct replacement stainless steel for about $120 for the 4cly motors, you might want to ask about the V6's. I'm looking to get that this spring since I have the same problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts