Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted the same thread yesterday at the "Garage's Performance" but this section is more appropriate because mine is a '06/2WD/SR5/AC/2.7L/4AT.
I bought mine back in Feb and it now has 6000 miles on it. Since the day 1 I've been hearing two different noises.
Noise number 1: Clicking or knocking noise coming from engine or underneath the cabin. It is especially annoying when it's cold outside(I live in a Chicago's NW suburb). It sounds like my truck is dragging a metal chain in the back of it. The noise stops only when I remove my right foot from the gas pedal. I hear less noise when it's fully warmed up but it's already winter in the Chicago land area and the constantly revolving engine cooling fan even at the moment I start the engine even at 20 below zero prevents it from fully warming up. I wonder why the fan is not controlled by thermostat like any other cars. I complained this to my local dealer and to the Toyota Executive office in California. The dealer did not know anything about it but Toyota knew this problem was related to the fuel line return hose. But they never called me when the TSB was issued back in May. I found the TSB(EG034-06) about this issue in this forum site a few weeks ago. I took my truck to the local dealer earlier this week to install the new fuel line but the same noise still exists.
Noise number 2: I hear this noise for a first few miles in the morning and again in the afternoon when I leave my office under cold climate at 40F or colder. It sounds like a big playing card touching a moving bicycle wheel spokes or someone trapped in the engine room banging the engine block.
If anyone out there had a similar experience and already fixed the problems, let me share your story.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Sorry man. haven't heard of these problems/noises yet. I am from a much warmer climate than you, so maybe that's why.

I think Toyota ditched the earlier 4cyls.(2rz,3rz) because they were too damn dependable. If I were you I'd sell that p.o.s and get a slightly older, tried and true Taco packin' an RZ series engine.

That's my 2 cents, but anyway welcome to CT, and I hope someone else here can help you figure that shi out. Peace, and good luck.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I tell you what, I'm kinda interested in seeing whats wrong. I work as a technician at toyota. Monday I'll look into this a little more and get back to you. I'll check current and new tsb's and see what I can find out for ya. If I find anything I'll post back in this thread. Have you started a case with technical assistance? This is usually done by constantly complaining and bitching about the problem to your local dealership. I'd start a case for you, but they would probably think somthing is up since you havn't visited my dealership.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help. I look forward to your findings next week. One guy who used to work for Lexus said that GS300/400/430s had the exact same prolems as I described. He suggested to look underneath to see if the hoses are touching the body. But I have no idea where the hoses are. By the way, my dealer receipt shows that they installed a fuel hose, No.2(part number - 23273-75281). However, Toyota originaly told me that the problem was due to a problem in "fuel line bracket".

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I can answer your cooling fan question. It always spins because its permanently attached to the crankshaft via a belt. It is the same way on every rear wheel drive car or truck, and its more efficient at cooling engines that do harder than normal work (towing, hauling) than an electric fan. Fan spins when the engine spins. It is on a clutch though, so it only spins the fastest when the coolant is hot. It is not however preventing your truck from warming up because it only serves to draw air through the radiator and help it dissipate heat. When the car is cold, the thermostat is closed and coolant does not leave the engine block - called closed-loop mode. When the coolant warms up enough, the thermostat will open, and coolant will flow through the radiator to be cooled and back to the engine. Therefore it is only in open loop (normal operating temp) that the fan (and the radiator) serve their purpose.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I live farther north and the only thing I notice with my 2.7 is the way it revs when I first start it, I think it has something to do with warming the O2 sensor. :shrug:

Other than that I have no complaints and I'm the type of guy who always listens for out of the ordinary noises. Good luck finding your problem. Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts