Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some guy told me toyota had issues with the 05 ripping tranny or motor mounts ...so they reduced the out put 10 hp to stop it from happing :shrug: is that true the 05 are alittle more powerful

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
mvaden said:
some guy told me toyota had issues with the 05 ripping tranny or motor mounts ...so they reduced the out put 10 hp to stop it from happing :shrug: is that true the 05 are alittle more powerful
Don't you think it would be easier and more reliable for Toyota to simply improve the motor mounts than to down-tune the motor if this was the case? Its not like they havent made more pwerful engines in the past, and the 4.0L is not all that powerful to begin with. Always use common sense when "some guy" tells you something. Gadget is right, HP measuring standards were changed.

·
Tacorpulent HP
2,306 Posts
ya i mean it'd either be that we were running some kind of 450 horsepower super monster (which we arent), the tranny was made out of aluminum foil and duct tape, or that the power measurement was different...take your pick

·
Registered
502 Posts
The new grading system is designed to hide the Taco's true potential. But in fact that we have 310 HP.. :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
sputnik767 said:
Don't you think it would be easier and more reliable for Toyota to simply improve the motor mounts than to down-tune the motor if this was the case? Its not like they havent made more pwerful engines in the past, and the 4.0L is not all that powerful to begin with. Always use common sense when "some guy" tells you something. Gadget is right, HP measuring standards were changed.
But the 4.0liters are pretty powerful...for a mid size truck.:waytogo:

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
KC777 said:
But the 4.0liters are pretty powerful...for a mid size truck.:waytogo:
Don't get me wrong, I agree completely that they are more than powerful enough for these trucks. But if you look at other toyota products such as the the Lexus IS 350, that has a 3.5L, 305 hp motor. And the Nissan 4.0L that they put in the new frontiers puts out i think 10-20 more hp. So when you compare the new 4.0L with other modern V6 engines from various manufacturers, you see that its right about average.

·
Registered
281 Posts
sputnik767 said:
Don't get me wrong, I agree completely that they are more than powerful enough for these trucks. But if you look at other toyota products such as the the Lexus IS 350, that has a 3.5L, 305 hp motor. And the Nissan 4.0L that they put in the new frontiers puts out i think 10-20 more hp. So when you compare the new 4.0L with other modern V6 engines from various manufacturers, you see that its right about average.
But in comparison with other trucks/suvs aren't the new (0506) Tacomas lighter in weight? Giving them better acceleration?
I think it would have been cool if toyota would have given the new tacomas a bit more torque.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts