Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how to rig fog lights to turn on with parking lights?

i have a 05 taco and the fog lights only turn on when i turn on the head lights. i don't know if this is the same for all tacos, (probably it is a factory default for all tacos), but i haven't seen any other taco that doesn't. i would like mine to be able to turn on parking lights with fog lights, along with turning on headlights with fogs.

anyone know how to do it? thanks in advance....

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i looked and i couldnt get it to come up in my search but then again i didnt spend very long looking. all i know is i did it and it consisted of pulling the relay for the fog light and finding the swithed side of the fuses coil and bending it out of the way of the fuse box and hooking it up to the lead fo a near by fuse.:waytogo:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet. thanks for the help guys. i'll read up and see what i have the patience to work on. lol. :waytogo:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay, there are lots of different ways to do the fog light mod. From what I've read, you want to get your marker lights to come on with the fog lights? Or you want to get the low filament of your turn signals to come on with the fog lights? The way I did it, I hooked my fogs to my low filament so the inside amber lights come on with the fogs and the ambers blink brighter when I turn on a signal. The best part about that is I can shut them both off with the existing dash switch and I didn't have to run any wire through the firewall; it's all under hood installation. And, when you turn your headlights on high beam, your fogs stay on too! EASY, and took less than 30min for both and only cost me a few bucks.

Bear with me, I don't have a digital camera, so I'll do it all w/o pics and very descriptive.

Materials list you'll need:
1-MINI add-a-circuit (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=071-580) Get the MINI one, there are 2 sizes. You can find them at any Auto Zone store.
1-pkg of blue female blade connectors (I believe they are 18ga)
-Heat shrink tubing to cover the blade connector (optional, you can use electrical tape)
1-pkg of blue 18-16ga 3M trailer light tap connectors (part 03816NA) ((These are weather tight and have silicon in them))
1-pkg of 20-18ga Male GM 150 Metri-pack connectors (part 85336)
1-tube of silicone sealant
1-roll of 18ga stranded core wire (your preferrence on color, I used black)
I later then found some 3/8in wire loom at Lowe's for a couple bucks and went back and wrapped my jumpers with it to give it a more factory look and protect them from poss shorts. You can't even tell by looking under the hood that there was a mod done.

Tool list needed:
-DC tester or multimeter
-Electrical tape
-Pliers
-Solidering iron, flux, and rosin core solider
-Crimper
-Mini flat blade screwdriver
-Needle nose pliers
-Your finger

Okay, now you're ready to begin! I will reference all locations as if you were standing at your driver's side quarter panel looking into your engine bay.

-Make sure your keys are out of the iginition and that you don't turn them over at all during installation, or your check engine light will come on and it takes a few starts for it to clear. (No problems, but it's annoying)
-Find your fuse box above your battery on the right side of the bay. Should be right in front of you if you're standing at the quater panel.
-Remove the cover, all your fuses and relays are labeled on the inside of it.
-Remove your "FR fog" relay. It will be the first blue relay under the big grey headlight relay. There will be 2 silver and 2 bronze connectors on the relay. Hold the relay so the 2 broze tabs are down and the silver ones are on top.
-Bend the top right silver tab 90 degrese and set it aside.
-Take your add-a-circuit and cut off the blue butt connector right at the connector. Slip the optional heat shrik tubing over the wire and strip it back just enough that the stripped end will fit into the blue female blade connector. If you don't use heat shrink tubing, fine, you can wrap the finished connector with electical tape. Crimp, then solider the blade connector on the wire and either electrical tape or shrik over the connetor making sure you can still slip the connector on your relay tab.
-Next find your 10A red EFI #2 fuse. Remove that.
-On your add-a-circuit, put their 10A fuse in the bottom slot and their 3A fuse in the top. Make sure you use their fuses because the Toyota fuses you have won't fit in the device.
-Slide the blue female blade connector over the bent relay tab and put both devices back in their slots. The add-a-circuit goes so that the red wire faces inside, obviously.
-You're done! With the fog light mod, anyway. To get DTRLs with them follow the next few steps. These will get you the low filament on your turn signals with the fogs.
-Take your stranded core wire and measure from your fogs on one side to the #1 slot on your turn signal (It should be plugged with a blue rubber stopper) on the same side. Cut 2 lengths of wire to that size leaving a couple inches slack.
-On your wires, strip back just enough insulation that they fit into the GM male connectors.
-I found it easier to use the needle nose to crimp and then solider the male GM connectors on.
-Solider the GM connectors on both jumpers on only one side, leave the other side cut flush, do not strip it!
-Take out your turn signal sockets and use a mini flat blade screwdriver to pry out the blue plug in the #1 slots on both.
-Push the GM connectors into the #1 slot on both signal sockets. (They will hang out just a tiny bit, but do the job. If you'd like to test to see that they are seated, you can strip back the other end of the wire and touch it to your battery +. The bulb should light up. You'll need to cut that stripped end off once you're sure it's seated.)
-Using that handy dandy finger, seal the socket with your silicone sealant.
-Then find your fog light wires and take the wire loom back a couple inches from where they enter the fog socket. The green wire is your hot wire. Using the trailer taps, connect your jumpers to the fog light hot wire (green) and press them down with the pliers.
-Repeat on side 2 and...
-You're done!
-Put the fuse box back together and go turn you're keys over to test the new mod!
-I then later found more loom at Lowe's and protected my jumpers as well.

Your fogs alone draw 7amps. Adding these 2 low filaments adds an additional 1.33amps to your circuit. So the 15amp fuse that protects your fogs will more than hold that additional amp draw.
Hope this helps!:clapping:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Speakmaniac said:
Amp2oo1, how funny is that! I grew up in Bolingbrook! Now I'm out here in much more beautiful Colorado.:clapping:
How about this weather, huh? I had the convertible top down on the M Roadster on Wednesday, a blizzard with 14" of snow Thursday, and 60 degree temps today on Friday. Glad I've got 4wd!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the tip, Speakmaniac. i haven't had the time to perform any mods yet. i'll wait until i have a free weekend and i will work on the fog mod, black headlight mod, and debadging. maybe i can photograph each step of your fog mod cuz that's exactly what i would like to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
R1100S said:
How about this weather, huh? I had the convertible top down on the M Roadster on Wednesday, a blizzard with 14" of snow Thursday, and 60 degree temps today on Friday. Glad I've got 4wd!
:waytogo: Yeah, but it's still much better than the Midwest! I love 50s and 60s in Dec.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ASRGuy said:
maybe i can photograph each step of your fog mod cuz that's exactly what i would like to do.
I know on that link that amp sent, there are several pics of various versions of the mod. Somewhere in there someone took a pic of the add-a-circuit after I mentioned it, I just don't remember where. But if you could put it together, that would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
:doah: One important step for all that are going to use my mod. Let me clairify that when you are holding the relay in your hands with the bronze tabs down and the silver ones on top, make sure that the tabs are facing AWAY from you when you bend the top right one 90 degrees! After reading it over again I can see how that could get confused really easy! (I always reference things in relation to it, not you..damn medical training. :silly: )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts