Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hey guys...here's the promised write-up and pics...

This is designed for a 2005 Tacoma which have the overhead console. I am not sure about any other applications.

*Take note: I take no responsibility for any damages to your truck/car while attempting this install, check with your local dealership for part compatibility or actual install if you are not comfortable doing the electric work yourself. This write-up is designed to just help those interested in doing the same.

Start off by disconnecting your negative connection to your battery. You will be cutting some wires, so its always safe to do so.

Next, open you eye glasses case on your overhead console and remove the one screw. Now, pull down on the forward portion of the console. There are two metal clips which hold it in, who will hear two pops as you disengage both clips. Dont be afraid to give it a good tug, but just make sure you are pulling from the forward portion of the console. Make sure you have both clips after you pull the console down, sometimes they can get stuck in the sheet metal above. After you take the console down, you will notice two wires. One is for the maplights, and the other is for the temperature/compass gauge had you gotten the TRD package that offers it. Disconnect both of these clips and set the console aside. This is what the two cables should look like:

The wire on the left is for the temp/compass gauge, and the wire of the right is for the maplights. I cut the plastic connector off the wires that we will be using. You dont have to if you dont want to. You can simply tap into them using a 3M wire tap. I also used these, but still cut the connector off. This is a 3M wire tap, using these there is no need for any soldering. But I just used this for the connections on the inside, on the outside connections, I soldered...

The wires that you will be using are the following:

Yellow - Temp Sensor
Gray - Temp Sensor
White w/ Black Stripe - Ground
Light Green - Switched Power (which is ignition power and only goes on
when the key is on)

Depending on the kit you get, you will have different wires/connections. I purchased my kit off eBay, and it came with a pretty simple kit with all of the wires I needed. I ran the wire that goes to the mirror through the headboard connected it to the mirror.

Then I cut the wires that came with the kit and connected the corresponding wires on the inside. The temp sensor wires are not polar sensitive, so it does not matter how you connect them. I left a little extra wire on all of them and left them loose incase I never need to take the overhead console out again. Now to the temperature sensor...

Now you will have to locate the temperature sensor harness that the Tacoma's come with. Start by removing the plastic cap that sits above the radiator. There is about 9 of these clips. After the piece is removed lean over and look behind the horns you will notice a small plastic harness with two wires going to it, should look like this:

This pic is upside down. I was leaning over the grill taking this shot. Notice the gray and yellow wires. This is where you again have the choice of cutting off the plastic harness and soldering your temperature probe, or just leaving the harness and just taping into the two wires. I decided to cut the harness off, because there is no need for it. Now, you may be able to use this harness if you get a Toyota specific temperature probe. But, mine did not fit. So after I cut it off, I soldered the two wires...connecting the temperature probe I received in the kit:

This is what the temp sensor wire looked like after I soldered the two connections. At first I thought I was going to leave the probe behind the horns, but decided against it since all instructions I read instruct to place the sensor as low as possible somewhere behind the bumber (this is to keep the probe away from engine heat). So later I added more wire in, placed the heat guard plastic covering over the wire and ran it down and mounted on the inside of the bumber (sorry no picture).

Thats basically it. If you made good connections and connected everything right, you should be ready to hook the battery back up and test everything out. Now, your compass may need to be calibrated...to do so, hold the compass button in on the mirror until it displays a "C" for calibrate, and drive 3 consecutive 360's at 5mph, this will calibrate the mirror. You can also set the compass to your zone, which can be found in the instructions below. I hope this helps everyone. Any questions please feel free to PM me...

Here is another version of a mirror install:

http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=7735&page=1

Attachments

·
StepSIde
3,295 Posts
is this the same for the accessory meter? im thinking about installing one but im not sure what is involved in it such as wiring harnesses and sensor locations. i asked the stealership and they told me that they were not sure if the wires are there. thanks for the info bro.:waytogo:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out my other post, in your original thread. But, all the wiring and harness' that you see me use in this install are originally there FOR the temp/compass gauge. Actually, if you got the gauge all you would have to do is click in that second white harness into the gauge and clip in the temp sensor behind the front grill and youd be done. But thats if you feel like spending $400+ on buying the entire overhead console, because you cant buy just the gauge. It comes as a part with the entire overhead console assembly. Trust me I tried, just get a mirror. They are much cooler....auto-dimming plus temp and compass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys...here's the promised write-up and pics...

This is designed for a 2005 Tacoma which have the overhead console. I am not sure about any other applications.

*Take note: I take no responsibility for any damages to your truck/car while attempting this install, check with your local dealership for part compatibility or actual install if you are not comfortable doing the electric work yourself. This write-up is designed to just help those interested in doing the same.

Start off by disconnecting your negative connection to your battery. You will be cutting some wires, so its always safe to do so.

Next, open you eye glasses case on your overhead console and remove the one screw. Now, pull down on the forward portion of the console. There are two metal clips which hold it in, who will hear two pops as you disengage both clips. Dont be afraid to give it a good tug, but just make sure you are pulling from the forward portion of the console. Make sure you have both clips after you pull the console down, sometimes they can get stuck in the sheet metal above. After you take the console down, you will notice two wires. One is for the maplights, and the other is for the temperature/compass gauge had you gotten the TRD package that offers it. Disconnect both of these clips and set the console aside. This is what the two cables should look like:

The wire on the left is for the temp/compass gauge, and the wire of the right is for the maplights. I cut the plastic connector off the wires that we will be using. You dont have to if you dont want to. You can simply tap into them using a 3M wire tap. I also used these, but still cut the connector off. This is a 3M wire tap, using these there is no need for any soldering. But I just used this for the connections on the inside, on the outside connections, I soldered...

The wires that you will be using are the following:

Yellow - Temp Sensor
Gray - Temp Sensor
White w/ Black Stripe - Ground
Light Green - Switched Power (which is ignition power and only goes on
when the key is on)

Depending on the kit you get, you will have different wires/connections. I purchased my kit off eBay, and it came with a pretty simple kit with all of the wires I needed. I ran the wire that goes to the mirror through the headboard connected it to the mirror.

Then I cut the wires that came with the kit and connected the corresponding wires on the inside. The temp sensor wires are not polar sensitive, so it does not matter how you connect them. I left a little extra wire on all of them and left them loose incase I never need to take the overhead console out again. Now to the temperature sensor...

Now you will have to locate the temperature sensor harness that the Tacoma's come with. Start by removing the plastic cap that sits above the radiator. There is about 9 of these clips. After the piece is removed lean over and look behind the horns you will notice a small plastic harness with two wires going to it, should look like this:

This pic is upside down. I was leaning over the grill taking this shot. Notice the gray and yellow wires. This is where you again have the choice of cutting off the plastic harness and soldering your temperature probe, or just leaving the harness and just taping into the two wires. I decided to cut the harness off, because there is no need for it. Now, you may be able to use this harness if you get a Toyota specific temperature probe. But, mine did not fit. So after I cut it off, I soldered the two wires...connecting the temperature probe I received in the kit:

This is what the temp sensor wire looked like after I soldered the two connections. At first I thought I was going to leave the probe behind the horns, but decided against it since all instructions I read instruct to place the sensor as low as possible somewhere behind the bumber (this is to keep the probe away from engine heat). So later I added more wire in, placed the heat guard plastic covering over the wire and ran it down and mounted on the inside of the bumber (sorry no picture).

Thats basically it. If you made good connections and connected everything right, you should be ready to hook the battery back up and test everything out. Now, your compass may need to be calibrated...to do so, hold the compass button in on the mirror until it displays a "C" for calibrate, and drive 3 consecutive 360's at 5mph, this will calibrate the mirror. You can also set the compass to your zone, which can be found in the instructions below. I hope this helps everyone. Any questions please feel free to PM me...

Here is another version of a mirror install:

http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=7735&page=1

HI I have an 08 access cab 2.7 I took down the over head console and found the compass temp connector. how ever I could not locate the temp sensor harness under the plastic cover near the horns. Is the harness only on the V6 models? just wondering

·
Mambeau / Admin
47,768 Posts
HI I have an 08 access cab 2.7 I took down the over head console and found the compass temp connector. how ever I could not locate the temp sensor harness under the plastic cover near the horns. Is the harness only on the V6 models? just wondering
In 2008 the multi-function version of the overhead console was part of certain option packages (which I don't believe were limited to V6's).

But I suspect Toyota would not have installed the final harness portion on the front end for models that didn't have the optional temperature sensor.

Here (attached) is the 2007 accessory meter wiring diagram. It would appear the temp sensor lines run to / from a pair of connectors (1C; 1E) in the driver side junction box behind the lower left dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Howdy! I'm a newbie to using a forum so bear with me please. I recently traded my Tundra for a 09 Tacoma and I love it. I bought the SL5 that has the auto dimming mirror w/back up camera in it. I really needed the accessory meter for outside temperature (bad road conditions) but it was only available in the TRD package. One of your posts speaks of all the wiring being in the roof console but temperature probe wires might be terminated by the driver side junction box. Do you know by any chance if it is the same on the 09? Also do you know what this junction box looks like? I'm kind of assuming that the wires from the meter are run to the box but no wires come out the back running to the probe location near the radiator? Thanks for any help you can give.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts