Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Prerunner 6 speed, 4.0 and it's fun as hell to drive and has a sufficient amount of "balls", as fas as my driving goes anyway. Does anyone drive a 4 cyl. preruuner, 05-06, I would like to know how it drives because I am thinking of trading mine in for a 4 banger, the 4.0 is a bit too thirsty for my wallet. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Why don't you test drive one for yourself? But before you do the trade, consider that you will lose about 4k on the deal, maybe more if you factor in taxes and fees. I don't think the 2.7L gets that much better gas mileage to make the trade worthwhile. I have a previous generation 2.4L tacoma, and its not fast or fun by any means, but its enough for me. I would expect the new 2.7L to be roughly the same due to the extra weight of the truck. Also, you're not going to get a 6-speed with a 4-cyl, I don't think.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The 4.0 gets roughly 17/21 MPG, while the new 2.7 gets about 23/28 MPG (so the stickers say). With the loss you would get in the trade, probably not worth it. Especially since the new 2.7 is not as "spunky" as toyota makes it out to be. Don't get me wrong, it is a great motor and will last forever, but not worth downin' from the 4.0..........IMO........PLUS, its only 5 speed!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought the '06 SR-5 about 3 months ago. I traded down from my 2000 Tundra V8, you can't even compare the two. However if you trade down you will be sitting in the same truck but with less power.
I love my Tacoma as it's great on gas and it drives like a big old car on the highway. I have the automatic as I do lots of city driving, it's not too bad power wise so I think the standard would do okay and yes you can only get the 5-speed.
The only thing I hate about my truck are those UGLY steel wheels :puke: ....I don't know why Toyota can't offer nice wheels with the SR-5 package like they do with every other vehicle they make!? I'm going to upgrade the wheels, lower it a bit and am currently buying a used X-runner skirt package :funnyup: I can't wait!
So anyway, like sputnik767 says go for a test run and see for yourself and let us know what you do. Good luck, Tim

·
If you are looking to save on gas I would look at a 5 lug non-prerunner they are really good I gas. I almost traded down to 5 lug from my D- cab pre-runner that was until i drove the X_Runner :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts